Internet Providers (with TV) - any recommendations?

TechnicalBoy

Hi All,

we're currently with Virgin, but service seems unreliable and expensive. Anyone got any recommendations? Would prefer to avoid Sky as have irrational dislike of Murdoch. Is BT any good?

Family are 2 teens, and 2 adults, variety of laptops/tablets, etc. House is a Victorian terrace on Telegraph Hill, and so decent WiFi would be good.

Thanks, Danny

I have BT phone broadband and BT Vision. Not the cheapest but not had a problem with them except on a couple of occasions in the last several years and their customer support is FREE. India. Polite, helpful people. However, where we are SE15 we STILL are not able to get BT Infinity - we were one of the first exchanges in about 1998 to get Broadband at a whopping 500k(!) yet seem not to be on any list yet to be upgraded. Yet curiously our neighbours either side DO have. There wasn't enough room in the telephone wire box outside for one more board for my block!

Hi Ed, thanks for the reply. Out of interest, what do you find the best bits of Virgin?

Hi PeckhamRose too - thanks for the detailed info. Good to hear that the support's decent, that can be so annoying otherwise. Our SE14 postcode says it can get Infinity, but I guess yours probably does too.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/upgrade-your-broadband

The site here:

http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/broadband/phone-tv-deals

seems to say that we can get:

38mb Infinity plus TV, uncapped for ?15/mth, or

76mb Infinity plus TV, uncapped for ?30/mth - both with a ?125 Sainsbury's voucher, on a 12-month deal.

Virgin have just sent a letter to us (and presumably every one of their users) about putting the prices up, which means we get the chance to opt out, mid-contract. We find the internet to be flakey - freezing all round, plus lots of buffering when streaming video. Virgin TiVo box annoying to use - very slow response to remote (yes, have got new batteries in it, and rebooted it!)

We're currently paying about ?60 a month for Virgin 100mb Internet + TV + phone. I don't think the speed is anything like that...

We've just moved and despite having had the letter about rising prices, our new contract gives us phone, broadband and TiVo for about ?36 a month. After a year that will go up. We find the broadband really good but have a new modem, so maybe you need an upgrade?

I like the broadband speed, the channels (I'd love Sky Atlantic but don't want Sky, especially with a dish) and I love TiVo. Maybe there's something wrong with your box? I'd call them and tell them you're thinking of changing provider and see what they will do to tempt you to stay.

Archived