Appeal on rejected planning permission

hind

hello all

I have had a planning permission refused in November by Southwark Council. My house is in the conservation area but not in the Dulwich Estate.

My concern is that the loft conversion I have requests has been approved for a house up my road ( further into the conservation).

Since then I have received two letters through the post from companies offering to appeal on my behalf.

Please help and advice on the following;

1- is it best to appeal directly of to hire the services of a company? Who woold you recommend?

2- any advise on how to approach this?

Many thanks

Hind

I did the appeal myself - putting in some common sense arguments for why it should be approved (e.g. precedent, no neighbour objections etc). After popping down to the planning dept and speaking to a different planner he didn't see any particular reason the first application was declined so we knew it was a borderline decision. At the same time we submitted slightly altered plans (to account for the concerns causing the original application to be rejected) in case the appeal was rejected - so not to delay the building work any further. In the end the appeal was accepted and the revised plans were approved.

It depends on the reasons for refusal and what if any extra information the Council are asking for. It may be that if you make some minor changes / provide extra info you could put in a new application and get it approved - this is easier than appealing.

If you do appeal again it depends on the complexity as to whether you can do it yourself or need help.