things I dislike about modern East Dulwich

A couple of weeks back, wars broke out on a morning 185, between two pram-pushing parents. They were screaming, calling each other all kinds of names under the sun, most of it completely unsuitable in front of their children. At one point it looked like one was going to take a punch at the other. ("You say that again and I'll blah blah blah"). It was incredible. Everyone sighed with relief when one of them got off, having deliberately collided their pram into the other. Prams as weapons, huh?

This is what I don't get about quite a few adults accompanied by children I see today. All that aggression, shouting, bad language, treating other adults with contempt.

It does make me wonder how their children will turn out. I really don't think parents behaved like that back in the day. Or are my spectacles too rose tinted?

I know this isn't just an ED thing, but with so many prams and kids around...

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Alan "because mum's are heroes" I wont need to

> worry - I can hop on the back of a three-wheeled

> buggy and hide under the hood from the bullets -

> perhaps i'll make it back to ED in one piece with

> my arctic roll intact!

if it dosent defrost on the way.

Right? gloves off, knuckles cracked etc.

Yeah, buggies weilding parents can be rude/annoying but then so can most people. As a parent with a 4 wheeled buggie I try to make space for anyone who needs it as I imagine do most of my mates with kids. Louisa, please try not to see a few as representative of all.

Builders treating the roads of ED like their personal property. One chav/git tried to fight me for asking if they could move some bins they'd blocked part of my road with - "coz we's avin a delivery init". :(

Also, builders/delivery people parking anywhere using their hazard lights to make it ok. It's not ok, they are not fifth emergency service and it will cause an accident someday.

The gift shops are awful and quite funny all at once. Their stock is absurd and makes me ashamed to be human. Such a waste of resources goes into this pointless tat. Evil.

The LL stationery shop. Poorly stocked and quite unhelpful - can't lean a bike against his window whilst in his shop and won't accept card payments. Yes, I know they guys who can't speak English are friendly but that's not why I need a stationery shop.

4x4s. Not strictly an ED problem but our roads are pretty narrow (what with all the other cars parked on 'em) so they often get stuck. I love the contradiction between the ads for these pieces of do-do in which we witness them traversing deserts and icefields, then I look outside at mum x with her two very small children in the back driving to the shops. Sad and irresponsible.

Awful pub colour schemes (CPT, Magdela, Upland etc). Why and how does this happen? A genetic deficiency in publicans maybe?

Phew.

There is way on this earth I will use my bike in London, when I stay at my sisters up in Buckinghamshire it's a lot safer as there are designated bike lanes which cover a large expanse, here in London that really isnt the case. The amount of money us motorists pay on road tax and parking fines amongst other things like MOT and insurance, I think we deserve a place to park our car when we go out shopping, especially older people and ones with kids.

Cycling in London really isn't that bad. Motorists here are generally quite aware of cyclists because there's quite a lot of us compared to most other British cities. I appreciate it can be daunting initially but choose your routes carefully and stick to areas you know to begin with. Fairly soon you'll wonder why you spent so much time in your car.

With regards to costs, motoring in the UK is cheaper now, relatively speaking, than it has been for 20 years. Yes, the elderly and those with kids should be able to park easily but everyone else has no excuse.

"Perhaps we should petition for a three-wheeled buggy lane along both sides of LL, that way the yups and their wee ones could walk along unhindered by some inconsiderate oldtimer out shopping or even worse a smelly unemployed working class person getting in their way!"

I am one of those aforementioned buggy owners. A buggy lane would be great, I should point out though that I really hate it when 'a smelly unemployed working class person' gets in my way.