Lessons learned - builders and decorators

Hi all,

We've been living in ED for almost 4 years and have employed different local builders/decorators (our place needed a lot of work!). Thankfully the end result is good but we've learned a few things along the way:

- agree a start date and a timetable in weeks up front (ranges tend to mean the top of that range)

- timetable quotes are longer than they need to be as people are often doing multiple jobs at one time. It is worth asking whether they are doing this up front. Often they will do work on your property in the morning or afternoon only.

- project managers only project manage to an extent. The homeowner instructing should be checking progress too.

- builders often make assumptions about things and don't speak to the homeowner. It is really important to be clear about the things you want up front.

- builders don't always consider that you might want to spend a little bit more to get your place looking right - so for breaks in picture rails or skirting boards it's probably worth replacing the whole thing and stating this up front.

- check the work being undertaken daily to check the quality, especially paintwork/tiles.

- if you have an alarm system and there are multiple people on site, often they will not all know how to operate the alarm so it's probably worth advising your insurance company.

- occasionally your house won't be double locked when workers leave.

- occasionally workers will arrive at your house without keys and will expect you to let them in (you don't have to of course but it may delay the work).

I'm sure there are more things and this may be obvious to many of you but I thought I'd share for people thinking of having work done for the first time.

I would add:-

If you have existing wires (alarms, telephones etc.) make sure that tradesmen know that they are, and where they are and test to make sure they haven't been compromised.

Understand the concept of 'snagging' - make sure you do it and document it. Often pictures are useful - now that phones have cameras and there is no cost involved with photography.

Be very clear with any instructions (document) - make sure you know what work is being subcontracted, and that subscontractors are properly briefed.

You can make timing or time of the essence in a contract. This won't, in fact, give you much protection, but it brings the issue up front at the start, and does give you a basis for later dispute, if that can't be avoided.

With major works there is normally a retention (last 5% of fee) payable only when you are satisfied the work is complete. In general pay only (a) for work done or (b) for materials bought and on site - apart (sometimes) from a 10% starters fee for major works. Don't pay everything up-front or even in staged payments when the level of completion which a 'stage' accounts for isn't specified.

Best if they speak English.

As long as they have a foreman/ manager who can speak their language fluently, and you can communicate effectively with him/ her then I have not found this a problem. However it is important, for any electrical work especially, that they have the right training etc. certificates so that they can do certified work.

and make sure they have a box to keep all things they take down that you want to keep (ie coat hooks, special screws for things coming off walls etc)

and another box for all manuals, warantee/guarantees, any paperworks that comes with appliances etc that are being installed

we did staged payments with unspecified details which I felt a bit uneasy about but turned out fine

definitely supply tea/coffee/biscuits : )

There was tongue in cheek with my previous comment but to be serious it is genuinely helpful to get constructive feedback and I will try and put some time to a response soon.

The thing is we all have different views on how a building project should run and the main problem is that with a client, there is generally a lack of experience which means managing their expectations through the lifecycle of a large project can be a bit of a roller coaster.

We do larger projects like lofts and extensions so the info below relates to larger projects of 10 - 12 weeks+.

Do not begin your works until you have agreed on a price. The price must be at least based on an agreed specification leading to accurate and comprehensive architects drawings & engineers calculations with structural drawings. It is advisable to have a programme of works to understand the length of time the works will take. It is also advisable to base a payment schedule that relates the programme of works. If you have all these things prepared on the outset, It will enable the project to be managed and understood by all involved. It is vital everyone is on the same page!

I think the key is clear communication. The client and Project manager/ builder need to meet every few days or once a week dependant on the stage the works are at. Discuss what has been done since the last time you met and ensure the works are to the clients satisfaction and design. Discuss what is about to be done. This will raise questions about the works and allow the client to understand what is happening and allow the builder to query any outstanding items or questions regarding finishes for example. Broadly cover what is being done in the next week or even two so the client can take time to consider the decisions required for the upcoming works. If there are changes to the specification, they need to be understood, costed and allowed within the payments and the programme of works. If the project documents are updated in this way, there won't be confusion weeks later when there is a final account or if the initial hand over date is missed.

If this communication is maintained through out the project it is very unlikely that something would be missed and the client will have the finished product they want. The builder won't have had to undo any work that may otherwise have been misunderstood. The project will continue without delays which means the builder will not be incurring unnecessary costs and the clients have their homes back at the time they expected.

As the old saying goes, Fail to prepare, Prepare to fail

Archived