Iceland Warehouse - new concept store

Louisa

Opened this morning on the Old Kent Road directly opposite the toys r us store and it has a large car park out the back. Bargain central, huge packs of frozen meat and they're also handing out numerous freebies all day so get down quick before they run out! I went down with my friend earlier. Very impressed indeed. They also have fridges freezers and microwaves for sale and lots of bulk buy goods.

Louisa.

Who cares about mothercare? If you want your fix of cheap crap kids clothes there's one along Rye Lane. Anyway I thought all the poshos of ED prefered that jojo place on LL? This place is perfect for me what with the coming closure of LL store. Bulk buying not just meat but also rice and pasta means I can plan meals in advance. Also somewhere to park the gas guzzler out back too.

Louisa.

Why on earth would anyone not want to see the food they are buying rather than paying over the odds to order it online from a middle class grocer who do no such bulk buy deals on food. Fine if your not on a budget I suppose money is no obstacle, but personally I love a bargain. I also love travelling in my own Louisamobil to stock up on these items. It's a win win situation.

Louisa.

Wonderful if you like driving in the metropolis. Personally, I use the money I save by not having a car to (a) shop at Ocado and (b) take a decent fortnight's break in Tuscany or Marrakech

(based on monthly car running costs including depreciation of ?100 or ?1200 per year).

And still have some money left over to fritter on hand-made pasta and hipster beer on the Lane...

Handmade pasta is no different to the freeze dried stuff once it's boiled. And I was drinking real ale long before some hipster decided it was 'cool' so no biggy for me. I much prefer the convenience of driving over a holiday abroad anyway. And as I said, Ocado don't do bulk buy deals on food and I much prefer the direct interaction of the shopping experience rather than the bizarre slightly isolationist approach of online shopping.

Louisa.

Jennys Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Nobody ever mentions walking to the shops or using

> public transport and taking a shopping trolley

> plus a backpack.

Me! Me! I walk. I have an old lady trolley and everything. Love it.

I like to go to Iceland AND Franklins Farm Shop, just to confound the hipsters and the I-remember-when-all-this-was-carb-free-vegetable-curryers.

Was a time when only Coal and Milk were delivered to your door.

Boxes of misshaped vegetables which Supermarkets cannot sell bought up in bulk for pennies

and delivered to your door for free because they are 3 times the price they should be.

Louisa is right. Dried Pasta is indeed no different to the handmade stuff.

Many top restaurants use it and only pretentious Johns would ever claim they could tell the difference.

Plus it keeps well in you cupboard.

I too have been drinking Real Ale since when it came in a Wooden Cask and not from Bottles

with fancy labels and ridiculous names.

And Mild too when it was available..

No doubt some new outlet will start selling it for ?8.00 a pint and the Good Folk of ED. as it would

seem we are now referred to, will be queueing around the block claiming they were the first to sample it.

Pseuds Corner here in East Dulwich.

I am loosing the will to live.

DulwichFox

I remember when all you could get delivered was smallpox and even then you had to wait in line to have your knees slapped with a kipper - a real kipper mind you not those craft kippers with beards you get nowadays; AND I was drinking beer when it was still called 'ye ale' and was sold by the flagon and we drank mild from the wood, not caring that at the end of every night the landlord poured all the slops from a bucket back into the mild barrel (true) and when the only pasta you had was in tins and hoops and you only got olive oil in chemist shops and frozen food was when the pantry got too cold and your custard iced over and we still had an empire and everyone waved at each other and you could leave your door unlocked and...

class-war pseuds corner

Louisa Wrote:

> Who cares about mothercare? If you want your fix

> of cheap crap kids clothes there's one along Rye

> Lane. Anyway I thought all the poshos of ED

> prefered that jojo place on LL? This place is

> perfect for me what with the coming closure of LL

> store. Bulk buying not just meat but also rice and

> pasta means I can plan meals in advance. Also

> somewhere to park the gas guzzler out back too.

>

> Louisa.

Mothercare are neither cheap nor crap clothes.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Louisa is right. Dried Pasta is indeed no

> different to the handmade stuff.

> Many top restaurants use it and only pretentious

> Johns would ever claim they could tell the

> difference.

I reckon sometimes dried is better, because it can be cooked al dente.

I'd say dried for spaghetti/tagliatelle/etc, and fresh for ravioli and other stuffed pasta.

Jeremy Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Louisa is right. Dried Pasta is indeed no

> > different to the handmade stuff.

> > Many top restaurants use it and only

> pretentious

> > Johns would ever claim they could tell the

> > difference.

>

> I reckon sometimes dried is better, because it can

> be cooked al dente.

>

> I'd say dried for spaghetti/tagliatelle/etc, and

> fresh for ravioli and other stuffed pasta.

Yes that would be a fair assessment.

All Supermarkets now sell fresh ravioli and other stuffed pasta.

DulwichFox