'Refresher' driving instructor lessons- using my car

GlamourBug

Hi, I wondered if anyone could help me please? I've found lots of good recommendations on here for driving instructors but wondered if anyone had a recommendation for a 'refresher' instructor who can help me with getting used to a new car and London driving. I haven't driven for almost 8 years and we've just got an automatic (I learnt on a manual)... so need some help! Am happy to start refresher classes in a driving instructor vehicle and then move to mine. Thanks

The charitable arm of the AA actually offer a free 2 hour session for nervous drivers and you don't have to be a member of the AA or even pretend that you are considering becoming a member.

I did this a few years ago when I hadn't driven for a similar amount of time as you and thought it was great. It's also popular with overseas drivers who want to get used to driving in the UK. There was no push to try and get me to join the AA at all but it did leave me with a very positive impression of them so they've got some credit in the Bank of Dunc.

https://www.theaa.com/driving-school/improve-your-driving/advanced-driving.html

I don't know whether they allow you to do it in your own car but definitely worth enquiring and even if they don't, this would be a useful first step to getting you used to driving in London.

I've done this course and it was very helpful (I was in the reverse haha situation as I was hiring a manual car but had only driven automatics for years). Unfortunately the course is now over-subscribed and applications are temporarily suspended...

https://www.theaa.com/driving-school/improve-your-driving/drive-confident-course.do

Duncs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The charitable arm of the AA actually offer a free

> 2 hour session for nervous drivers and you don't

> have to be a member of the AA or even pretend that

> you are considering becoming a member.

>

> I did this a few years ago when I hadn't driven

> for a similar amount of time as you and thought it

> was great. It's also popular with overseas drivers

> who want to get used to driving in the UK. There

> was no push to try and get me to join the AA at

> all but it did leave me with a very positive

> impression of them so they've got some credit in

> the Bank of Dunc.

>

> https://www.theaa.com/driving-school/improve-your-

> driving/advanced-driving.html

>

> I don't know whether they allow you to do it in

> your own car but definitely worth enquiring and

> even if they don't, this would be a useful first

> step to getting you used to driving in London.

• 3 months later...
I would recommend Nicholas for refresher lessons. I had not driven for ten years and having found his details on the EDF have now had 4 lessons with him in my own car including a motorway lesson. He has a very calm and relaxed style, and after the last lesson practising parking in the new car I now feel far, far more confident to drive on my own around London. His website is www.nicholasdrivingacademy.co.uk

Naomi ( I don't know her surname) Is an awesome and experienced instructor that I found recommended on the forum. She took me for a couple of refresher lessons last month as I hadn't driven since passing my test a year ago and wasn't feeling very confident. She was reassuring and informative - I wish I had found her earlier as I am sure I would have passed quicker if she had been teaching me!. We went on the motorway, which I had been quite scared of and she was very encouraging and really built my confidence. She is good at explaining all the tricks and techniques that experienced drivers do automatically. I would thoroughly recommend her.

Her number is

07976 214791

PS according to the last person I recommended her to Naomi is very busy at the moment (so she must be good!) but may be able to fit in a few refresher lessons depending when you want them

Archived