Broken down van parked outside my house for 4 and a half weeks

newboots

Blah Blah:

Nonsense; a motorbike or car is not a large and immobile van and no one is claiming or suggesting ownership - they are asking for consideration and expressing an objection.

And in regard to your earlier post - surely it's the van owner that ought to look to have a drive/off-raod locale in which to park or store the van no?

All in all, too many cars and vans and not enough space I guess.

What next you ask?

Maybe you could offer to have the van outside your place, thus pleasing all.

Actually, it is sort of annoying when commercial vehicles are being regularly parked even just over-night in wholly domestic (residential) streets - particularly when these are over-large and take up more than one normal domestic car space (smaller vans aren't an issue). A neighbour runs a business where he has his own (family) car - fine - but where two huge white vans (two car lengths long) are also regularly parked up - blocking parking for the residents who live around me. A wholly residential street is slowly turning into a lorry park (effectively). It is of course entirely legal but it is also somewhat inconsiderate. The vans are away during the day (except at weekends), of course, but if they get back before the residents do...

Vans are the reason you have goods in your shops. They are the reason you can get a plumber when you need one or a builder. Descriminating against a type of vehicle because you don't like the look of it is surely just as unreasonable? The owner of the vehicle has explained why he can't move it. So not inconsiderate at all. There may be a hundred and one reasons why he can't get it fixed as quickly as others would like. His insurance and tax do however buy him time to sort that out when he can. I really don't see a problem here.