Peckham Rye Lido

JohnL

But rickets is making a comeback.

The AJ is by subscription so I can't read the link, but on the face of it this is excellent news.

Might help with the rickets too (short duration maximum skin exposure in the right season and time of day), unless people go overboard with the sunscreen.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/8268321/Schoolgirls-rickets-blamed-on-sunscreen.html

Not being able to read the AJ piece, but being curious about this project, I had a quick Google.

After reading about Studio Octopi's proposals for floating freshwater swimming pools in the Thames, I wonder what might happen on the Rye. I mean, I was imagining a basic 'dig pool, add changing room and vending machine' effort which would be fine, but my expectations are now spiralling wildly.

Using that link didn't work but finding the article directly through Google does (I've never visited the AJ site before, maybe that's why).

The most interesting bit:

"The plans include a 50m heated pool surrounded by smaller natural pools that would draw water from the underground River Peck which runs directly beneath the site.

Alongside the pools would be single?storey pavilions housing a gym, caf? and community space."

Heated pool - take that, Brockwell!

I think the point is, if the rebooted version had a nice cafe attached selling home made cakes, flat whites (whatever they are), aperol spritz and local craft beers... everyone would realise how much they loved swimming outdoors in the UK.

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> When was that actually demolished? It stood unused

> for years!

1987 I think.

I'm surprised it didn't become a skateboard area :) - the area is a

unused bit of the park now

• 10 months later...
Brockwell, Dulwich and Burgess parks are forever getting modernised its time Peckham park had a tasted, i live opposite the park and see how well used it is all year round and much the space is loved. i hope the planned work gets completed in the near future