Cyclist killed at Elephant & Castle was local gym instructor

I think the ghost bikes are a great idea. As well as a memorial, they provide a constant reminder to motor vehicle drivers that they are in charge of machines that can kill. I wonder whether it would be feasible to ensure that each cyclist from this 'manor' who is killed on their bike gets a suitable ghost bike memorial...

There is a description on the ghost bike website of how to prepare old bikes for this role.

Cassius Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Apparently Meryem's funeral is today. Perhaps we

> all ought to take a breather from our daily lives

> to think about her and the other people who are

> taken from us before their time.

xxxxxx

This is really not intended to be flippant or to cause offence, but surely it was "their time", otherwise they wouldn't have been "taken"?

Of course it's always particularly upsetting when people die relatively young, but there isn't a particular time you're supposed to die surely, unless you subscribe to the three score years and ten theory?

I didn't know Meryem but I'm so sorry for her family, and the family of the other young woman cyclist who died recently.

Cassius Wrote:

> Apparently Meryem's funeral is today. Perhaps we

> all ought to take a breather from our daily lives

> to think about her and the other people who are

> taken from us before their time.

xxxxxx

This is really not intended to be flippant or to cause offence, but surely it was "their time", otherwise they wouldn't have been "taken"?

Of course it's always particularly upsetting when people die relatively young, but there isn't a particular time you're supposed to die surely, unless you subscribe to the three score years and ten theory?

I didn't know Meryem but I'm so sorry for her family, and the family of the other young woman cyclist who died recently.

Well as I DID know Meryem and know that she has a young fmaily I am sure that her friends and her family feel it was before her time - sorry if my wording was not up to scratch - the loss of someone I'd known for many years might have affected my composition skills! So offence might not have been meant but it certainly has been taken.

Sue Wrote:

Are you privy to some kind of insider information with the man upstairs? The poor cyclist was "taken" because of a terrible accident.

Best,

-C

Sue - actually your point towards Cassius DOES appear 'flippant', and rather rude, especially under the circumstances. I just drove through Elephant & Castle and saw the yellow boards and flowers marking the spot where it happened. Hopefully there will be a 'ghost bike' there soon, as it will be a reminder to all drivers to take care at such a hazardous roundabout.