London Credit Union voucher from Southwark

My son received this as part of a new scheme to encourage saving. It seems the account does not pay interest but that a dividend payment will be made each year. Is this normal for credit union accounts? What sort of rate of dividend? Do I just accept that credit unions are for the greater good and stop over analysing? If every 11-13 year old in the borough pays the voucher in presume that will be a chunky amount for the credit union to invest/lend etc?

It's normal for credit unions - they can only offer as much as they are able at the end of the year. Sometimes the dividend will beat interest rates, other times it may be very little.

Credit unions are fantastic social enterprises that benefit the community, and if this scheme encourages young people to use one rather than a high rate lender when they are older then it will have done a lot of good. The voucher is basically free money for our kids so we'll definitely be paying it in. They encourage saving and responsible borrowing.

We had a letter a month or so back from southwark explaining the scheme, then today the actual voucher. It is for all children resident in Southwark "aged 11 between 1 September 2013 and 31 August 2915". So that's everyone in year 6 or 7. Hopefully your letter will come later in the year Goodliz.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• You can't refuse. TW allows you up to a 12 months after installation during which time you can continue with the fixed rate system. Then after 12 months you go on the meter rates regardless. The one benefit of this is that the meter send readings on an hourly basis and if you have consumption being registered, when you would not expect it,  (such as between 1am and 6am) , they will advise you that you have a leak somewhere and will give an estimate of how much extra this leakage will cost you after you go on the meter rates.  That way you can fix your lea(s) in advance and save money. If you cannot find the leak  inside the house, it may be outside underground, between your house and the water meter because your old lead pipe may be leaking. That stretch of pipe is your responsibility.  Then you can ask them to help you find it and if you play your cards nicely and catch the TW guy on a good day, then TW will replace your old 1" pipe with a new blue 25mm pipe.  
    • Thank you to everyone who do drop off food while they were casting their votes, thanks also to those who enquired about volunteering. It doesn't have to be an election day though to do either though, so we would be grateful to receive donations and additional volunteer help any other day of the year too. We have also just added another string to our bow, and are now re-homing unwanted electricals too, so if you have any unwanted small electricals lurking at home that we can re-home, please drop them off to use to. We only ask that they are clean and working.  we will PAT test them and assuming all good, we will find a new home for them. The Community Fridge website has details, along with a wealth of other information Best wishes Steve Albrighton Community Fridge w: albrightoncommunityfridge.org i: albrighton_community_fridge_   
    • Hello, TW installed ours in SE27 in October 2023, unprompted too. We just got a note through the letterbox informing us of the switch to smart meter and its serial number, after it was done. 
    • I've recently moved into East Dulwich. I transferred my Thames Water account to my new address, and I  have received my bill for the year. But now I've received an email from them saying they'll be out on the 8th to fit my new smart meter, which was unrequested by me. I can probably refuse but I wanted to check here if perhaps there was a TW campaign to get these installed in the area? Thank you.
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In