VW Golf ABS problem

Hawley

Hello all

The ABS system on my 2004 Golf started playing up over the weekend. Warning light has come on in the dashboard. A browse online has indicated that it may be a common VW fault with the MkV Golfs. Just wondering if anyone local has encountered anyting similar? And also whether any kind soul has a VAG-COM (or similar) diagnostic tool they could lend me for an hour or so.

Thanks

I know very little about cars, but out of interest - have you actually noticed braking issues (e.g. locking up when braking) or just a warning light? In my experience warning lights on the dash usually seem to be simple sensor failures.

Salsaboa - Yep, am aware it will fail its MOT.

Jeremy - I noticed a slight judder when I first applied the brakes about 50 metres down the road, but nothing thereafter. Managed the 50 miles back to SE22 with no mishaps.

I have a Mark V Golf, and the dashboard lights up more than an overdecorated Christmas tree. The entire electrical system seems terribly fragile. Hawley, if I were you, I'd get a friendly car mechanic to give the brakes a quick once-over and reset the dashboard light. And then read the other thread about buying a new or secondhand car...