patchy lawn

Aisling

Boring subject, I know. But anyone got any tips and advice on sorting out my lawn.

Some of it looks great. All green and lush, but then there are bits that are all patchy.

I've tried before to put more grass seed over the patches, but nothing happend.

Any help please!

Aisling - I am 41 and begining to show an interest in the type of thing my Dad used to know about.

I bought a new house 3 years ago and dug up my old lawn last year, applied top soil and bought and laid new turf.

If you don't fancy that - you need to

1) extract weeds pulling by the roots etc

2) hollow tine whole lawn (or spike with pitch fork will do)

3) scarify - rake top level of thatch off with heavy rake - do this harshly in patchy areas - remove thatch from lawn

4) top dress your lawn - apply a top dressing - a top soil/sand mix from garden centre - brush this into lawn with heavy brush, you should be able to see existing grass clearly so it continues to grow. The scarifying and top dressing should create a suitable base for new seeds to grow.

5) overseed - apply grass seed over whole area concentrating on patcy areas.

6) water if needed and mow at high level only, after 3 weeks, until new grasses established.

I am a complete newcomer to this last year but have read lots about it - have just done steps 1-6 on my lawn - its hard work but I hope for good results soon.

Good luck - hope it works out and send us the pictures if it looks good come summer.

Mick.