The African / Carribean place on Bellenden Road

Before anyone jumps on me, I know it's not technically ED.

Anyways, was passing last night- menu looks amazing. They've called it 'Bellenden Brasserie' presuming to save on sign changes (there's also a wee bit of 'Peckham Experiment' logo peeping through too, a nice touch)

Sadly there was a grand total of 0 people in there.

Anyone eaten there or had a takeaway?

I know it's kind of pointless to feel sorry for a business that's made no attempt to promote itself, but still...

I admit that I'm not especially familiar with African and Carribean food. But what I've tried, I've really enjoyed (apart from those horrible "pattie" things you sometimes get in chippies, but I don't think that counts as food).

I don't really know why, but African and Carribean restaurants always seem to have a harder time generating mainstream appeal - i.e. Jerk Rock didn't last that long despite everyone raving about it. Perhaps people just aren't adventurous enough.

It's all awesome.

Some of the dishes looked to be Ghanain too (they had agushi, a stew made out of crushed melon seeds and spinach)

Go to an African / Carribean restaurant in say, shepherd's bush and they're doing a roaring trade.

Round here, well, dunno. There weren't even many people stopping to look even as I sat outside The Wishing Well looking over.

Me too, I live nearby and should definitely visit that area more often. Some of my colleagues are African (female) and have often brought home cooked meals in for all to share. Absolutely delicious.

I didn?t realise African and Caribbean foods were similar.

I?ve had Caribbean food in London and have had traditional food in most of the parts of Southern Africa but admittedly no further North than Angola.

Is it more similar to central and West African food?

I can't say for sure but there are definitely similarities; my personal experience of home cooked African food is Sierra Leone, Ghanaian and Nigerian,but mostly from Sierra Leone.

Brendan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I didn?t realise African and Caribbean foods were

> similar.

>

very much so... but think about how African people got to the carribean in the first place :(

In the same way you'll find various bits of creole food in the deep south of the US like Jambalaya are not a million miles away from African dishes like Jollof Rice.

I'm gonna give this place a go over the next few days...will report back

Jeremy Wrote:

> I admit that I'm not especially familiar with

> African and Carribean food. But what I've tried,

> I've really enjoyed (apart from those horrible

> "pattie" things you sometimes get in chippies, but

> I don't think that counts as food).

>

Good call J...never buy a patty from a chip shop. Those are not traditional. Go to Gaby's in Peckham or Patty Island in Camberwell.

I think egusi soup is Nigerian (at least my hubby's mum cooks it specially for him - I prefer her spinach soup or Jollof rice mm mmm)... Sounds like this place is worth a try, the good African restaurants are few and far between - if you know anything about African culture you'll be prepared to wait a while for your food lol. Worth waiting for it probably is tho, there are some delicious stews and plantain is delicious - who knows why supermarkets haven't started stocking it yet!

I'd say Jamaican / West Indian cooking is completely different from African, from the dishes I have tried. I love both. Rice n Peas on Grove Vale in East Dulwich has yummy food all day long - goat curry with rice & peas, plantain and coleslaw, all to die for. If you want to try a patty get one from there - not a chippy! Anyone who hasn't tried mango juice really ought to be a bit more adventurous :)

actually just got back from the place on Belleneden. Nice friendly vibe and attentive staff - and inexpensive to boot. My companion (of Nigerian heritage) thoroughly enjoyed. I think African and Caribbean foods are very different though - Carib cuisine favouring more distinct clear flavours, for my money. Also its worth pointing out that Caribbean food is more than just Jamaican. So Trinidadian/Guyanese rotis ( indian flatbreads filled with yummy curries) or Trinidadian Run Down are good -if u can find anywhere to buy them! And as for patties - don't be fooled into thinking those omnipresent overspiced crusty doorstops u get in shops in London are the Caribbean norm. In Guyana, Barbados and elsewhere they are small, exquisitely flavoured pies fashioned from melt in the mouth pastry. Sadly the hegemony of the Jamaican kitchen bigfoots these dainty treats.

northlondoner Wrote:

> actually just got back from the place on

> Belleneden. Nice friendly vibe and attentive staff

> - and inexpensive to boot. My companion (of

> Nigerian heritage) thoroughly enjoyed. I think

> African and Caribbean foods are very different

> though - Carib cuisine favouring more distinct

> clear flavours, for my money. Also its worth

> pointing out that Caribbean food is more than just

> Jamaican. So Trinidadian/Guyanese rotis ( indian

> flatbreads filled with yummy curries) or

> Trinidadian Run Down are good -if u can find

> anywhere to buy them! And as for patties - don't

> be fooled into thinking those omnipresent

> overspiced crusty doorstops u get in shops in

> London are the Caribbean norm. In Guyana, Barbados

> and elsewhere they are small, exquisitely

> flavoured pies fashioned from melt in the mouth

> pastry. Sadly the hegemony of the Jamaican kitchen

> bigfoots these dainty treats.

was it busy? felt really sorry for them in the week when they were presiding over an empty restaurant!

ended up in thai corner cafe instead of there today but could be on the cards for tomorrow.

Hi,

I to have noticed the restaurant empty night after night. Over the last few years the venue has not succeeded due to its irregular opening hours, now that it has been taken over again you would think that the owners would advertise it.

I suppose it is a question of finances!

Finally well done to the first poster as you havce created awareness and got the ball rolling.

My wife is from St. Lucia so I think that we will try it and perhaps post our revue.

Kind regards,

Libra Carr

northlondoner Wrote:

> Lenk, the day we went there were a few people in

> for lunch..

That's promising... the night I walked past last week no-one entered or left for 2 hours (from my vantage point of the pub opposite)

Esme, I too like Rice and Peas on Grove Vale. I often get a salt fish patty from there. Tried another place in Coldharbour Lane near Nandos but they weren't as nice. The best ones I've ever had have been from the Marylebone Market. 2 women have a stall and make delicious West Indian stuff, including cakes and chutneys. Can't remember their name though.

Be Awaer. Do Not Touch The Curry Goat.. it Makes You Limbo Under The Toilet Door'Before You Shit.Then Your Lips Start To

Swell.and Thats It.You Start To Drive on The Wrong Side of The Road......Keep To Fish and Chips..

norman Wrote:

> Be Awaer. Do Not Touch The Curry Goat.. it Makes

> You Limbo Under The Toilet Door'Before You

> Shit.Then Your Lips Start To

> Swell.and Thats It.You Start To Drive on The Wrong

> Side of The Road......Keep To Fish and Chips..

What are you talking about, Norman?

lenk Wrote:

> Anyone eaten there or had a takeaway?

I went in there about 2-3 years ago, and had to leave before we ordered. The reason being the design of the tables. For some reason,there is a bar between the legs, about 4 inches below the bottom of the table-top, which in effect stops you getting close enough to the table to eat.

So not wanting a bad back, or food on my lap, we left.

I so want to eat there, but until the tables are changed then I won't/can't...