Southwark Woods Day

I can only speak for COC, and yes it's designated as Metropolitan Open Land (OS149). I'm no planning expert, but my understanding from this Southwark document is that using MOL land as a cemetery is consider as an appropriate use, therefore the current plans are permitted. If someone wanted to build there, the designation as MOL would prevent it.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/6877/southwark_open_space_strategy_2013

That's usually with a view to salami slicing and partial development: this is exactly what happened in the 1980s and the Mid-Southwark Plan tried to separate off areas like the top-edge of Sydenham Hill Wood for development.

I think that's why the London Wildlife Trust chased Local Nature Reserve status for the areas, because it presumably offers stronger protection for green space than MOL.

The then GLC published a sort of "Domesday" series of green sites for every London borough - well worth looking out for as they show the same pressures that now face London's captive countryside (including former farmland that became cemeteries and parks)and gave in-depth information on the need for open spaces (preferably with wildlife potential) throughout London. It's what makes London different from many other densely inhabited cities.