Beautiful tree wrecked in Ulverscroft Road

Sue

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm surprised by the comments on this thread ,the

> area has clay soil and many of the little

> Victorian terraced houses are now very elderly and

> insubstantially built in the first place .

>

> Subsidence ( which is not after all equal to the

> Black Death )will happen ,no need to criminalising

> every root and branch in the vicinity .

>

> And yes - heave ....

In My Previous area the council cut down a sick tree with the result that the house next to mine-The house at the end of the terrace which the tree was outside started to 'fall away' from the terrace-a large structural crack appeared between my house and my neighbours, When I knocked on their door to see if they were aware of this and they invited me in and pointed out horrific internal cracks all around the walls and ceiling.

Turns out it was the removal of the tree that did it.

The council acknowledged their liability and put things right for them.

As I was in the process of selling my house I had to have a structual engineers report before the buyers of my property would proceed, Boy was I ever relieved to find out my house had escaped any damage and was structurally sound.

However I'm always wary of people cutting down trees, and besides Its the trees that make this a lovely place to live.

Goosey-goosey - the delightfully imperfect & eccentric little tree was planted as part of the Council's plant a tree scheme where community groups and schools can plant a tree - and the Council who planted it! It's a very young tree that will grow and in several years be very fullsome. It was deliberately planted where it is for several reasons - one of which I believe is that a tree nearby is dying. Last year, I thought it looked very sweet with Christmas ornaments and Christmas lights and the annual Carols on the Green event happened round the tree. How nice that we can carry on this tradition every year around a living Christmas tree.

Scruffy Mummy Wrote:

> Goosey-goosey - the delightfully imperfect &

> eccentric little tree was planted as part of the

> Council's plant a tree scheme where community

> groups and schools can plant a tree - and the

> Council who planted it! It's a very young tree

> that will grow and in several years be very

> fullsome. It was deliberately planted where it

> is for several reasons - one of which I believe is

> that a tree nearby is dying. Last year, I thought

> it looked very sweet with Christmas ornaments and

> Christmas lights and the annual Carols on the

> Green event happened round the tree. How nice

> that we can carry on this tradition every year

> around a living Christmas tree.

Aw - that's a lovely little tree! Reminds me of the Charlie Brown one.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Saw another tree on Lordship Lane last night with

> a big branch down and left on the pavement.

> We haven't had any strong winds recently have we.

> ??

If it's just one branch, it's often due to stupid people, probably drunk, pulling it off the tree if it's within reach.

If that's the case the end of the branch where it's been ripped off the tree will be all ragged, and not cleanly sawn off.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've just talked to some workmen working at the back of the house nearest to the tree, and one of them said that he had chopped it down.

Gave me his name but wouldn't say what company he was working for (or possibly did not understand, or possibly the others told him not to say. They were not speaking English but appeared to understand me).

Does anybody know whether the council is still pursuing this? Because at the very least, somebody should be paying for the work involved for the council to remove the branches left lying on the pavement and road, remove the remaining stump, and replant the tree.

Though I personally think whoever is responsible for this vandalism should be fined. A lot.

ETA: I did try to phone the council this afternoon, but after waiting over five minutes for somebody to answer the phone, I gave up. It's Friday. Did they all go home at 3pm???

And if I'm putting a limb out whom I suspect it was then - yes I am!!! What they going to do come round and hack my limbs off like they did to the tree - oh I wish they would try! Cowboys - Cant even understand English from what I'm reading - typical!!! Which we all have to pay for in our COUNCIL TAX! So good on you Sue!

Bobthefunkhouse Wrote:

> And if I'm putting a limb out whom I suspect it

> was then - yes I am!!! What they going to do come

> round and hack my limbs off like they did to the

> tree - oh I wish they would try! Cowboys - Cant

> even understand English from what I'm reading -

> typical!!! Which we all have to pay for in our

> COUNCIL TAX! So good on you Sue!

Bobthefunkhouse, you only registered on the forum yesterday and your posts so far are, let's say, not very helpful.

As none of us know what happened, I think it would be wise to leave this to the council to investigate.

It is quite possible that the builder I spoke to did not understand what I was saying.

James says that the tree will be replaced, so all's well that ends well.