victoria line strike tomorrow-

Canning Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> for 2 days, seems like the bloody management are

> always closing it down for the whole weekend.

That is to maintain it and keep it safe for the drivers to open the doors on the wrong side. How do you think things get built?! Those guys down there in that hot humid atmosphere breaking out sleepers in a 12 hours shift - they?re the real heroes.

And guess who defends them and fights for their rights not to be abused Trade Unions. And the reason for the long closedowns are because the management have failed over a number of years to maintain the fabric of the network. Mainly because there is no way to make profit out of maintenance.

KalamityKel Wrote:

> I take it you've never witnessed such a thin

> Mikecg? No of course you haven't silly me!

>

> Tube drivers are responsible for many lives. I

> bet no one would do it for a measely 16K or

> wotever a year...

You can't say that kk, you dont know what I,ve seen or where I've been for that matter, so it's a bit unfair to suggest I have zero respect for people in public service from the roadsweeper to the lollypop man, I support them every step of the way but to be dictated to by unions is cause for decay.

If the track maintenance guys went on strike it would take weeks if not months for anybody to notice ? so they don?t the poor sods.

The government are the only people to blame for long close downs on the tube and railways owning the their managed decline of the countries infrastructure over the last few decades until the back log came so great they had to privatise the lot.

snorky Wrote:

> Tube driver however do somethuing that is

> beneficial to the community

>

> very few of the critics of the tube drivers ( as

> an example ) do anything that benefits society.

Dont beleivve me?

go to ED station between 7.30 -9.00Am each morning

find commuters - there are usually lots on Platform 1 ( Platform 2 seems to be Dolers and Skoolkids for some reason )

get notebook

nicely ask commuters what they do for a living

very few of them will be able tell you what they do in one sentence. hardly any will be be to show you something that they have produced - something tangible

welcome to ED, home of the people who seem to have made up professions

One of my mates was a Tube driver for many years and he told me he used to smoke a 1/4 of blow a week when on shift. So are they all doing that or just the guy who opened the wrong side of the tube train doors?.

Mikecg Wrote:

> One of my mates was a Tube driver for many years

> and he told me he used to smoke a 1/4 of blow a

> week when on shift. So are they all doing that or

> just the guy who opened the wrong side of the tube

> train doors?.

since moorgate, most Public Transport employees are drug testede frequently

not something you get in the glamorous fast moving world of marketing etc

Can I ask mikecg, to whom are the Union's dictating? The RMT having kept carefully within the anti union laws of this country are involved in a dispute between the workers and management of the Victoria Line.Trust me they want this settled what possible motive would they have for prolonging this dispute? And surely it is obvious that the management have far far more power than the workers. And I so agree with Snorky about the people who attack the drivers.

snorky Wrote:

> snorky Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Tube driver however do somethuing that is

> > beneficial to the community

> >

> > very few of the critics of the tube drivers (

> as

> > an example ) do anything that benefits society.

>

>

>

>

> Dont beleivve me?

>

> go to ED station between 7.30 -9.00Am each

> morning

>

>

> find commuters - there are usually lots on

> Platform 1 ( Platform 2 seems to be Dolers and

> Skoolkids for some reason )

>

> get notebook

>

> nicely ask commuters what they do for a living

>

> very few of them will be able tell you what they

> do in one sentence. hardly any will be be to show

> you something that they have produced - something

> tangible

>

> welcome to ED, home of the people who seem to have

> made up professions

I?m a civil engineer and I?m critical of tube drivers so sorry.

However, I do have a little thing against train drivers after one tried to poison all of us while we worked in a tunnel under Clerkenwell when he started his loco up to warm himself up and no doubt make himself a cup of tea.

Oh actually I live in Nunhead (I think) so I don?t count and shouldn?t even be on here.

What do you do for a job snorky, Ive asked before but you still recoil and refuse to answer, why is that?.

I dont have any problems with tube drivers or the strike for that matter its doesnt amount to a hill of beans as far as I'm concearned.

I just think there are plenty of other professions out there that have a more valid reason to strike but they can?t get their voice heard. The train drivers strike over anything and everything as they know they?ll get it as their action affects so many other people ? I would say it?s a kind of bullying.

Mikecg Wrote:

> >

> What do you do for a job snorky, Ive asked before

> but you still recoil and refuse to answer, why is

> that?.

>

> I dont have any problems with tube drivers or the

> strike for that matter its doesnt amount to a hill

> of beans as far as I'm concearned.

I sell my self to the highest bidder, like we all do, but I have no illusions about loyalty or teamwork

???? Wrote:

> I think Snorky is in invetsment banking or

> something and this is how he lets off his self

> hatred.......I'm not sure if I'm joking either

bankers=scum

"very few of them will be able tell you what they do in one sentence. hardly any will be be to show you something that they have produced - something tangible"

i'm a graphic designer (my tangible things are mainly websites and printed things) who thinks train/tube drivers do a good job/service. Being a bus driver would be worse though because there's no-where to hide from angry passengers!

sophiesofa Wrote:

> "very few of them will be able tell you what they

> do in one sentence. hardly any will be be to show

> you something that they have produced - something

> tangible"

>

> i'm a graphic designer (my tangible things are

> mainly websites and printed things) who thinks

> train/tube drivers do a good job/service. Being a

> bus driver would be worse though because there's

> no-where to hide from angry passengers!

bah, there had to be someone who could disprove my blanket statement proclamation issued with a confident arrogance

Skidmarks - you seem to be arguing for solidarity amongst unions and stronger unionisation for poorly paid workers. I am with you all the way on this one. Mikecg I am pleased you have come round to the pro driver side.

Anyone know what a Victoria Line driver earns? Think it's about ?40k.

Current rates:

a. ?41,500 annual salary (basic). No idea what the overtime is like.

b. Drivers also have a final salary pension scheme, a 35 hour working week and nine weeks? annual leave