Rats at East Dulwich train station

some very helpful tips from Michael P, but the OP's allegations didn't involve trouser investigation, just that they went about their business while being rats.

For which Network Rail is going to pursue them - although given its track record, the rats might still have some hope...

in case anyone thinks I'm some kind of undiscriminating rat-lover, I agree with prunellabutterworth that the Peckham Rye rat, with its complete lack of personal hygiene, was a disgrace to its community

I've seen lots of mice down in the underground tube lines over the years,,,but never seen so many big rats on platform as East Dulwich Station has,,,only in past 4 years,,,they were running around the sheltered area when I was there,,,I ran to platform,,daylight,,,I've lived here for 18 years,,it's never been this bad!!!

Updated response from Southern :

Ref: HS10634

Dear Ms

I write further to my acknowledgement of the 6 July 2015. Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response.

The rat issue at East Dulwich is one that the local Southern managers are aware of. However, whilst our staff will ensure, going forward, that discarded food is removed from the station as regularly as possible, it is Network Rail?s responsibility to address this problem. The local managers contacted Network Rail by both email and phone regarding the issue and sadly there has been a communication breakdown between us and them, with Network Rail being unable to trace these emails or calls. Nonetheless, they have acknowledged the matter and provided us with a reference number of 15014/000180. The local Customer Experience Manager will continue to chase Network Rail every 2-3 days until someone attends East Dulwich on their behalf to address the problem, as until they do, it will continue to get worse.

Your feedback is nonetheless much appreciated. However, if the issue continues then I would kindly suggest that you contact Network Rail directly, with the aforementioned reference number, although we hope that they shall respond to our request in a timely manner.

Yours sincerely

VIP Complaints team

Southern & Gatwick Express