Security Camera

DulwichZookeeper

There's a proposal to install a security camera and recording equipment to monitor the entrance to our gated development. The best position for both the camera and the recording equipment is to attach it to a particular property in the development. How much rental would be reasonable for the managing agents to pay the owner for this (to be split between all properties via the service charge) and are there any other matters to take into consideration?

Just to clarify, they want to put a camera up in order to increase your security, right?

This probably explains why I'm not wealthy, but I wouldn't dream of trying to charge them to do that (so long as I wasn't out of pocket).

I can't say how much would be reasonable - presumably they are getting the benefit too? But it terms of what to take into account I would see it being a combination of factors such as:

Does the property with the camera have any obligations to maintain it? Assume not.

Does the property with the camera have to allow access to its property for maintenance or checking the equipment is working properly - if so inside or out and how often?

If a neighbour wants to check the footage for some reason - do they have to ask the property with the camera to check or can it all be done remotely?

Basically comes down to what the neighbour has to do in respect of the camera? If not much, minimal fee to deal with access for maintenance/checking, reduced to take account of the share of the benefit they get from it.

If it's using the property's power supply then a small fee to cover the electricity makes sense, based on agreement that the owner will ensure continued supply. Assuming the recording equipment is remote, so not sited inside the property.

Beyond that, I don't see it any different from having a street name sign on your house, which there is no rental for.

Other matters: data protection stuff; including signage, who will be the Data Controller, etc.

All fair points, I wasn't considering it might use the property's power or require access to the property, all of which could change things (very slightly).

But if it's just a small camera being mounted to a wall and nothing more involved than that, then I don't think it's reasonable at all to expect a payment.