Best destination for romantic weekend away in UK...

sophie_e_down

Bristol... don't really like it. The university area and Clifton are alright, but the main city centre is horrid. Bath is very nice though, and I dare say could be considered "romantic".

I used to live near Winchester too, and it's nice, but very small. You'll soon run out of things to see/do. But you could maybe combine it with Salisbury or New Forest. Or even... Basingstoke!

As someone else said, York is quite nice.. lots to see, lots of nice pubs.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As someone else said, York is quite nice.. lots to

> see, lots of nice pubs.

Apart from the troops of marauding stag and hen do's, obviously.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> stringvest Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Avoid Margate, it is like Elephant and Castle !!

>

> Margate is fab!

>

And you can do romance just like the locals - i.e. a quick knee-trembler out back of the Asda carpark just after chucking out time.

+1 for Dorset. Had a long weekend there recently and really liked it. We stayed at Summer Lodge Hotel (which was excellent but really pricey, not sure I'd go back), did a bit of walking, drove to the beach for a fossil hunt Lots of options.

Passed through Burnham Market last week as it happens... and it has become a weird Farrow & Ball freakshow of a place. What was once a nice small market town in Norfolk has been ruined by arses with plenty of dosh and the ghastly 'Hoste'and turning it in to some kind of London nobs theme town

I think what I'd suggest would change according to whether you have access to a car to escape the city or not.

If you haven't got a car, go to Bath. Easy journey from Paddington and you could keep yourself busy for a week in between visiting numerous museums, doing boat trips or walks along the canal, going to the new thermal baths etc. Lots of lovely restaurants (No 5 Bistro just off Pultney Bridge is my recommendation) and plenty of pubs. It is quite touristy but it's bigger than Stratford upon Avon so not quite as irritating.

If you're willing to go further afield by train/plane, Edinburgh would be perfect.

If you have got a car, places like Winchester are fine as you can potter out to little villages or the New Forest.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• So you are a ‘member’ 😳whatever that means, but also not. It’s not very clear…. But also totally transparent. Miaow 💅😂 Maybe I will, maybe I won’t 😂 What is interesting about your questions is that they suggest, as usual, that you see everything as a really basic binary opposition (cars vs bike, anti LTN vs pro-council etc). It’s not very nuanced Rocks. I don’t have great love for Southwark council as I suspect you assume. That said, neither do I have a lot of time for the apocalyptic hyperbole of those still upset over a fairly minor change to a road junction in the village, made several years ago, and which actually creates a nice public space for pedestrians and a bit more safety for kids travelling to school by bike. Ah, what the hell, let’s play…as you asked so nicely: The one that took place between May and July 2021 I don’t know much about this. It seems it was reopened though? Apparently they have the agreement of the emergency services this time, (which perhaps does suggests they didn’t consult with them properly the first time round). Of course someone (the mysterious Mr One?) believes the emergency services are being intimidated somehow (possibly by commies) so maybe Southwark still haven’t learnt their lesson? No, I don’t. Although I hear the Mysterious Mr One would like it redesigned to make things clearer. 😂 As for your ‘question 3 sub-points’ I don’t actually agree with their premise (a bit of the old ‘how often do you beat your wife’ framing going on there… slippery 😂) Anyway good luck with the referendum.   
    • I often walk past 'Kenro Press' and think it looks very sad and negleted. I wonder when it was last a viable business - tried googling it but nothing much came up Great to hear it is being brought back to life, perhaps a pity it will not be a new usefull retail premises. Lots of work needed so good luck with your renovation
    • No I don't disagree. I wasn't condoning drivers getting confused and the debate on whether refresher tests should be taken is a long one and is something probably for a Malumbu- thread!   I take it you never entered your details as someone agreeing with their sentiment but lots of Dulwich residents did and as part of that you get their email updates. So no, I have nothing to do with tje group beyond one of those two thousand dots on their website as a "member" is me!   Now, are you going to answer my questions or pretend you never saw them....p.s. we have seen this tactic before - happy to throw questions but not happy to answer some yourself...
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In