Top tips for those having a baby

• 5 months later...

Bathtime - if your baby screams whenever you bath him or her...try getting in the bath with them and giving them a breastfeed (or a cuddle I guess if you are bottle feeding). I found with my youngest that she immediately calmed down, and after that loved bath time, where as prior to this she screamed blue murder every time.

With my first I got in the bath with her immediately after the birth to clean us both up and she always loved the bath, my second was born in water, in a lovely relaxed atmosphere, but for some reason totally took against being put in water after that, until I had my 'brain wave'. It made such a difference as bath time was really stressful with her screaming.

Hope it is useful for some of you.

Molly

Good luck Emma - hope it all goes as you want it to

agree with many previous posts but a random assortment of my memories follow - in no particular order...

- dont buy too much up front - friends and family are often too generous with gifts and you might not need to buy much for a few months!

- babygros - easier to get on than outfits and cosier too

- a glass / bottle of water near to hand if breast feeding

- for birth - dont expect waters to break 'before' contractions start - both times mine only went just before baby arrived

- Arnica tablets - if you can take them really helped speed up healing

may be tmi but I had 2nd degree tear with both (just saved from 3rd degree phew) had hospital birth and stiches 1st time round and home birth and chose not to have stiches 2nd time - in both cases Im sure arnica helped me heal

- Stiches hurt - even with the local aneasthetic and gas and air - maybe was just me but I had a beautiful baby I wanted to hold and I had to go through some more pain when all I wanted to do was cuddle and kiss baby (thats why i didnt get them 2nd time I just enjoyed baby time) Speak your mind if you are not happy or feel you are being forced a certain way there may be an alternative.

- Childbirth is not always a long 24 hour shattering affair, it can be very quick so if you feel like you need to push make sure the midwife listens to you (my family have had 3hrs as longest labour - 20mins as quickest one)

and as stated before it does feel like you really need to poo

- my hospital labour - I was put on bed on my back till my lovely midwife from Brierley arrived and got me on my knees gravity does help, but if you are not happy and want to move position then tell them or tell your partner what you think you would like to do and they can talk for you when time comes

- Lavender oil - for in your bath, helpes with healing and smells nice (does that make me an old lady??)

- Arnica cream/gel for when baby starts moving around - its amazing seems to help bruises disappear before they start. Wish I had known about it before I had a baby.

- Camera charged/ phones charged for pics when baby arrives and to tell your good news to family

- online shopping - saves trying to get baby buggy and shopping into house and unpacked - much easier if someone brings it to your door especially for the heavy/ bulky items

- often 2nd hand from this forum, netmums, friends etc are still like new as babys grow so quickly ( I know I passed on some clothes still with tags on them)

- If trying to breast feed dont be disheartened if it doesnt happen immediately - there are lots of breastfeeding cafes with peers/ midwifes etc who can help - and make you a cup of tea!

- switch on your answer phone - take some time to do what you need to, feeding, napping and call back when you are free to talk (its amazing how many sales calls you get through the day and rushing to get the phone you wake up baby and its someone trying to sell you a new kitchen!!!)

- when you are ready get out to meet people at local groups - there are 'Lets go' guides for 4 localities in southwark detailing activities for parents and baby - 5yr olds. I have been to baby massage, breastfeeding cafes, whippersnappers music class - there are loads of activities there will be something baby will like and you will meet some lovely mums/dads too (often many of these activites are free)

- when it comes to weaning - dont spend lots on the latest highchair like I did - when the ikea one is just as usable - takes up less space and is easier to clean!

- if travelling anywhere to visit friends or family -especially on public transport/ plane etc practice collapsing and putting up your pram. We went home with DD 1 when she was 6 days old on plane and had to collapse pram to go through security - we couldnt get it to fold.... eventually they let us through without putting it on scanner but had to frisk it instead) Very Stressful..

Let your visitors make you a cup of tea!

ENJOY - write down memories, take pictures, have lots of cuddles x