Barry Road closed (June 27th)

SueJ

Rockets Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The helicopter was down in Ruskin Park yesterday

> afternoon - was it responding to a call or just

> resting in the sun?

It lands in Ruskin Park when taking patients into the ED as there isn't a Helipad within the hospital. An ambulance meets them in the park and brings them down to the ED.

This is probably why after the Barry Rd accident the patient was taken by road.

Isn't a problem when the parks shut as the helicoptor isn't allowed to fly at night - they have a v fast car instead.

buggie Wrote:

> Rockets Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The helicopter was down in Ruskin Park

> yesterday

> > afternoon - was it responding to a call or just

> > resting in the sun?

>

>

> It lands in Ruskin Park when taking patients into

> the ED as there isn't a Helipad within the

> hospital. An ambulance meets them in the park and

> brings them down to the ED.

>

> This is probably why after the Barry Rd accident

> the patient was taken by road.

>

> Isn't a problem when the parks shut as the

> helicoptor isn't allowed to fly at night - they

> have a v fast car instead.

It's amazing how much quicker it is to get around the city at night, I've worked quite a few nights driving to various work sites across the city and have found that journeys that take up to 2 hours in traffic only take 20-30mins in the early hours of the morning.

themaninblack - perfectly legitimate question if you ask me - are you leading the charge for the "Sensible Brigade"? ;-)

Very odd to see the air ambulance sat in the park next to the hospital. One presumes that when it lands at a hospital it does so on the roof, not in the park next to the hospital.

Thanks for clarifying buggie. Are they planning on building a helipad at the hospital if it is now a major trauma centre? The kids in the park at the time seemed to think having a helicopter parked near where they played was great fun and they were all waiting for it to take off again.

I'm guessing installing helipads on hospital roofs is a very expensive exercise, reinforcing the roof, getting lifts installed, etc. Back in my home city in NZ the main hospital actually has it's helipad in a big park across the road whenever a chopper is on it's way in they send an ambulance across to ferry the patient back to the hospital, although it's used far less often than ones in London are.

If drivers are crossing Barry road without realising or bothering to give way then something needs to be done

The problem is exacerbated by the fact that Barry road is so straight and long, and many drivers assume they will be able to spot anyone entering the road from the right or left - consequently they speed

Summer's here and the number of young men who do close to 60mph is really shocking

It's 2pm on a Saturday and I would say there's one going past every five minutes

That junction at Underhill hardly helps - the traffic light is just past the junction (on the way down).

Anyone coming down onto Barry road from Underhill, looks right and sees a red light for the traffic coming up Barry Road on their right and assumes the same for traffic coming down Barry road on their left - they jump across even though traffic could still be coming down to stop at the lights after the junction

There needs to be a set of lights either side of the junction

As a pedestrian I hate going past that junction in the morning

You can see the confusion as several road users approach that junction, some turning right, some stopping at the lights, some wanting to cross over Barry road, you have to eyeball each person and try to undertand what they aim to do next and what you should be doing all the while scanning your head left to right several times

I think my earlier point about one side of it not having any markings is the most serious problem. The council did the whole red tarmac thing (why?!) and then saw fit not to repaint the lines. As someone who has suffered the consequences I'd love to try and get something done. But how?

My worst junction award goes to this though - crossing Friern Road when travelling along Goodrich Road. My bumper is 3/4 of the way across the road by the time I can see anything coming. I turn my radio off and wind down the windows whenever I cross it so I can try and hear cars approaching. This doesn't help with cyclists though, who are after all the most vulnerable road users.

themaninblack Wrote:

> I think my earlier point about one side of it not

> having any markings is the most serious problem.

> The council did the whole red tarmac thing (why?!)

> and then saw fit not to repaint the lines. As

> someone who has suffered the consequences I'd love

> to try and get something done. But how?

>

> My worst junction award goes to this though -

> crossing Friern Road when travelling along

> Goodrich Road. My bumper is 3/4 of the way across

> the road by the time I can see anything coming. I

> turn my radio off and wind down the windows

> whenever I cross it so I can try and hear cars

> approaching. This doesn't help with cyclists

> though, who are after all the most vulnerable road

> users.

i agree, the Barry Road Residents Association was re formed in the 1990s on the back of so many accidents at this junction and local people got together to get the council to do something about this. Unfortunately, since those days the council have put in these extended pavements, and although fewer crashes, still a dangerous corner as views are restricted. I think BARA will have to have another campaign!