Community Bakery?

DiD

DiD Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't

want to undercut local business, but I really

> think that everyone should be able to buy good

> bread.

If a business is taking the piss witg prices, they deserve to be undercut.

Thanks all?..lots of ideas here. Could be food-coop buying of flour, or a bread baking/sharing circle?.or something more. Let's see! I'm off for a couple of weeks, but will aim to set up a meeting mid-late August. Will post here, so follow the thread and you'll be alerted. In the meantime, I might see what the baker at Aylesham has to offer.

Band of bakers have been regularly active for over 3 years and is regularly oversubscribed but places at events are reserved for new bakers. It's currently on a summer hiatus back on 1st October. Twitter is updated significantly more than the blog.

There is also a new group set up in the area which has a thread on here, I'd copy paste the link but it's a pain on my phone. I don't think theme meet yet but are starting soon. I think this group may be a better starting point for actual discussions of baking techniques, co-op type initiatives, etc.

binkylilyput Wrote:

> Why is bread a treat? What is too much?

>

> I scoff delicious bread up to 3 x daily.......and

> why the h*ll not?!

Calories - Carbohydrates - Salt -- Fat

Bread is High in Carbs and Can Spike Blood Sugar Levels leading to Type - 2 Diabetes.

Keep bread to a minimum. It really is a treat..

I too love Bread.

I made a loaf today --- 175gm Plain Flour / 250gm Rye Flour / 125gm Spelt Flour. Delicious.

DulwichFox.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> binkylilyput Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Why is bread a treat? What is too much?

> >

> > I scoff delicious bread up to 3 x

> daily.......and

> > why the h*ll not?!

>

> Calories - Carbohydrates - Salt -- Fat

>

> Bread is High in Carbs and Can Spike Blood Sugar

> Levels leading to Type - 2 Diabetes.

>

> Keep bread to a minimum. It really is a treat..

>

> I too love Bread.

>

> I made a loaf today --- 175gm Plain Flour / 250gm

> Rye Flour / 125gm Spelt Flour. Delicious.

>

>

> DulwichFox.

LOL carbs do not lead to type 2 diabetes.

Blood sugar and insulin spikes DO NOT cause diabetes. They are the main SYMPTOMs of diabetes.

Diabetes is caused when the body cannot regulate the amount of sugar in the bloodstream. There are several reasons for this (and can vary depending on if you are talking about T1Dm or T2Dm) but the actual cause is unknown. Scientists do not know what actually triggers it in people, but the known risk factors are:

Genetics

Obesity

Long term use of certain medications (especially antidepressants and statins)

Possible environmental factors like arsenic and other pesticides and herbicides. There seems to be a correlation but there is NOT a proven causation to these

Not carbs

Diabetics

Curmudgeon..

I am type - 2 controlled by diet.. and I'm not obese 9 stone.

If you continuously eat High G.I. carbs you will destroy your Pancreas BETA Cells as they have to work harder to cope.

Your red blood cells live for 3 months. The HbA1c test is a measure of your blood sugar levels over that period.

Continual Spikes will raise the reading indicating that your control is poor.

I lived on a diet of Bread, Rice and Potatoes. All bad. Carbs...

Table sugar has a Glycemic Index of 65. White / Wholemeal bread 70-90.

Whole Grain and Soughdough is better.

Eaten with a Protein The GI will be lower..

DulwichFox

All nations have a staple carb

Too much scoffing, not enough moving = fat bodies

Obviously if a person has a particular condition then diet may need to be altered but, in general, cutting out major food groups are fads that people want to believe in order to avoid accepting they eat more than they burn

Give us this day our daily bread

> LOL carbs do not lead to type 2 diabetes.

>

>

> Blood sugar and insulin spikes DO NOT cause

> diabetes. They are the main SYMPTOMs of diabetes.

>

> Diabetes is caused when the body cannot regulate

> the amount of sugar in the bloodstream. There are

> several reasons for this (and can vary depending

> on if you are talking about T1Dm or T2Dm) but the

> actual cause is unknown. Scientists do not know

> what actually triggers it in people, but the known

> risk factors are:

> Genetics

> Obesity

> Age

> Long term use of certain medications (especially

> antidepressants and statins)

> Possible environmental factors like arsenic and

> other pesticides and herbicides. There seems to be

> a correlation but there is NOT a proven causation

> to these

>

> Not carbs

>

> Diabetics

You are right that "carbs do not lead to type 2 diabetes." But it is equally wrong to claim that "the actual cause is unknown."

There are well known causes, such as toxicants or heavy metals leading to pancreatic and/or brain damage (see scholarly article at http://www.supplements-and-health.com/garcinia-cambogia-side-effects.html ).

It's only corporate medicine who keeps claiming that we only know of risk factors" rather than a cause, or causes, of diabetes. They make the same false claim about cancer. The reason has primarily to do with how this big business cartel operates in its core: allegedly endlessly "searching for a cure" and only treating symptoms rather than causes of diseases with highly lucrative drugs and other interventions - both directives guarantee them an endless stream of massive profits (read these books: Donald Gould's "The Medical Mafia", Ghislaine Lanct?t's "The Medical Mafia", Pat Rattigan's "The Cancer Business", Marcia Angell?s ?The Truth About the Drug Companies. How They Deceive Us and What to Do About It?, Peter G?tzsche's "Deadly Medicines and Organised Crime").

Sunnir Wrote:

> > LOL carbs do not lead to type 2 diabetes.

> >

> >

> > Blood sugar and insulin spikes DO NOT cause

> > diabetes. They are the main SYMPTOMs of

> diabetes.

> >

> > Diabetes is caused when the body cannot

> regulate

> > the amount of sugar in the bloodstream. There

> are

> > several reasons for this (and can vary

> depending

> > on if you are talking about T1Dm or T2Dm) but

> the

> > actual cause is unknown. Scientists do not know

> > what actually triggers it in people, but the

> known

> > risk factors are:

> > Genetics

> > Obesity

> > Age

> > Long term use of certain medications

> (especially

> > antidepressants and statins)

> > Possible environmental factors like arsenic and

> > other pesticides and herbicides. There seems to

> be

> > a correlation but there is NOT a proven

> causation

> > to these

> >

> > Not carbs

> >

> > Diabetics

>

>

> You are right that "carbs do not lead to type 2

> diabetes." But it is equally wrong to claim that

> "the actual cause is unknown."

>

> There are well known causes, such as toxicants or

> heavy metals leading to pancreatic and/or brain

> damage (see scholarly article at

> http://www.supplements-and-health.com/garcinia-cam

> bogia-side-effects.html ).

>

> It's only corporate medicine who keeps claiming

> that we only know of risk factors" rather than a

> cause, or causes, of diabetes. They make the same

> false claim about cancer. The reason has primarily

> to do with how this big business cartel operates

> in its core: allegedly endlessly "searching for a

> cure" and only treating symptoms rather than

> causes of diseases with highly lucrative drugs and

> other interventions - both directives guarantee

> them an endless stream of massive profits (read

> these books: Donald Gould's "The Medical Mafia",

> Ghislaine Lanct?t's "The Medical Mafia", Pat

> Rattigan's "The Cancer Business", Marcia Angell?s

> ?The Truth About the Drug Companies. How They

> Deceive Us and What to Do About It?, Peter

> G?tzsche's "Deadly Medicines and Organised

> Crime").

Please provide actual peer-reviewed studies to support these claims not books written to make money from the gullible

• 4 weeks later...
Hello, I wonder if there's scope for a sort of 'swap your home produce ' stall or something... I have loads of tomatoes I can't eat, and I know my neighbours make chutney etc and maybe there cd be a community stall on NC road where you bring whatever spare you have, a loaf of bread, jams, veg etc, apples, and swap?!

What a great idea. I tend to have too much rhubarb and too many gooseberries (the purple ones) and my friend who does jams can only take so much. While I'm on the subject of community produce sharing, do you know about the Peckham Palace Pint. A group of people grow hops in their back gardens and pick the hops on the same day, take them to a gathering place - last year it was a pub in Gypsy Hill - they are then given to local microbrewery to make The Crystal Palace Pint. Find the group on Facebook to learn more.