The Castle

TJ

I passed this recently - and thought it was looking really good. I have only ventured in there once before - simply because it looked such a dump.

I don't want the usual barrage of 'your not welcome anyway' rubbish form the old skool brigade, but what are the plans for this place?

Is it going up-market, staying as a boozer, doing food?? I think another good local pub is a great thing and it is so good to see the place smartened up - it looks great and really raises the whole area. Good on the landlord for shelling out in these hard times.

Anyone know when it opens?

I'd love it if it was going to be a South London branch of Crobar.

Alas.

It'll probably have a couple of real ales, selection of continental lagers, a few nibbles, a bit of a bar menu, 4-bottle wine list, some old stuff bought from an antiques place that fits out pubs, some flock wallpaper.

Is that what you want to hear?

I drove past the other day, its begonning to look really smart! Anyone know when it will reopen?

I live about a 2 min walk away and have popped in on occasion, always found it to be a friendly boozer if a little rough round the edges!! Def looking forward to trying out the new smarter version:-)

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's a nice old building with character, glad it's

> no longer being neglected.

>

> honklenk, I didn't have you down as a rock fan...

> I thought of you more as a 80s rave and hardcore

> techno kind of chap.

One can dabble with both, no?

80s rave pubs lack character imho...

One day, months from now, we will be arguing on here about an obscure local byelaw banning the walking of multiple dogs through common land or something equally important - and this information will come back to haunt me ; )

It's supposed to be opening tomorrow (Friday) according to the owners. I understand that the original plans were just to smarten it up a bit, rather than change the business model dramatically.

I can confirm that it does sell the finest guinness for miles.

Apparently the opening has been put back to Mon 16 July. I just hope they'll continue to do cheap beer until 5pm weekdays - it was great, and v. nice sarnies to boot. Also one of the few pubs left that shows sport.

JKE, where and when did you hear this and do you mean Monday 13th? I've noticed the numerous workers have been doing very long hours. I assumed this Was an effort to meet the approaching launch date. Sounds like it won't be met after all.

Yes, Mon 13th, sorry my mind was elsewhere. The 16th is the 1st day of the test match against Australia at Lords, but that's by the by. I heard from a fairly reliable source in the CPT. It was originally meant to be 4 weeks' work after it closed fully. T'was never a realistic estimation. It's an old building remember and to meet up to current regs was always going to require a fair bit of graft. It may be worth adding another week on for good measure, but keep on checking.

I cant wait for the reopen, and will certainly be popping in for some of the black stuff. Seem's a shame the owner felt it needed smartening up, as long as it doesnt attract the pretentious Claphamite edgy mob I will be happy. :)-D

Louisa.

needed smartening up is an understatement. I used to go there a few years ago but it just got more and more run down. Looking forward to giving it another try as its my closest pub. Also hope it keeps the pool table. Passed it tonight and looks much better on the outside and hope inside gets same treatment.

Louisa Wrote:

> I cant wait for the reopen, and will certainly be

> popping in for some of the black stuff. Seem's a

> shame the owner felt it needed smartening up, as

> long as it doesnt attract the pretentious

> Claphamite edgy mob I will be happy. :)-D

>

> Louisa.

It's OK Lolly, I have it on the best authority from a well-placed source in the SW4 postcode that The Macabees pop group will not be making an appearance, either professional or personal at The Castle. They being the edgiest that Clapham can muster.

And in fact he's not even sure how they spell the name, is it two 'cc's two 'bb's or some sort of combination?

Perhaps sfter all my source is a bit of a broken reed, even unto being an enormous Josephine.

I considered 'googling' the group name to check the spelling, but decided it wasn't very 'Castle', shrugged and muttered 'bollocks a that'.

I know it's what Jesus would have done, him being a chippie and all.

!!!!!!!!!!

WTF?

Louisa Wrote:

> I cant wait for the reopen, and will certainly be

> popping in for some of the black stuff. Seem's a

> shame the owner felt it needed smartening up, as

> long as it doesnt attract the pretentious

> Claphamite edgy mob I will be happy. :)-D

>

> Louisa.