Cilla Black....deceased :(

Glitteryfridays

Like any death it's a huge loss to those who were close to her. In the grand scheme of things how big a loss it might be could be measured by what impact a person you have never met has had on your life. When George Best died a part of me did too. He was my one and only ever hero. I grew up. When I grew up I was once in a restaurant in Mayfair. Our table was near the exit and who do you think left with a beautiful woman while we were eating.......Georgie. I could have spoken to him, maybe shook his hand, got an autograph. I didn't do anything. That was then and this was now. He will always be my favourite footballer of all time. However, what he meant to me was more based on what I felt at certain times in my life than anything Georgie did for me.

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Quite a shock. Just 72 years old.

>

> A inoffensive loveable person who gave so much

> Joy to so many people.

>

> DulwichFox

That's a bit over the top. 'Joy'. What's wrong with 72? About 30 years more than my sister got. When your time's up, it up.

I think it goes without saying that every death is sad in it's own right. We all have family and friends, people close to us, people who love us or depend on us. But maybe what otta was saying is that for those of us who were not a fan... we could probbaly open any newspaper and find a more heartbreaking story within 10 seconds.

The backstory of course has always been that she was generally vile to work with and an all-round nasty piece of work etc etc

Personally I can imagine that maintaining your position as the highest paid entertainer in the male-centric world of 1980's tv required a very thick skin and a giant set of steel balls - and made her a good few enemies along the way.

As Cilla Black was the highest profile presenter on British TV for a number of years and a national favourite I'd say this is a very sad loss although she was not a major factor in recent years.

The recent biopic of her was fantastic and now seems well timed.

Mick Mac Wrote:

> As Cilla Black was the highest profile presenter

> on British TV for a number of years and a national

> favourite I'd say this is a very sad loss

It's subjective... for me, no sadder than any other death as I didn't like/watch her TV shows. For her fans, yes I'm sure it is a sad day.

I loved Blind Date back in the day....expect if I watched it now it would seem tired, dated, predictable and sexist.

It was especially good if the couple detested each other and came back and told all. It was funny to see the horror and disappointment on their faces when they realised they had turned down a 'hottie' and the sinking feeling when they knew that they were left with someone er, not so 'hot'.

Jeremy Wrote:

> I think it goes without saying that every death is

> sad in it's own right. We all have family and

> friends, people close to us, people who love us or

> depend on us. But maybe what otta was saying is

> that for those of us who were not a fan... we

> could probbaly open any newspaper and find a more

> heartbreaking story within 10 seconds.

Yep, this.

Very sad for those that knew her or were close to her. Buy "a great loss"? What was she doing that was of such importance that she's a "great loss"?

Read this morning that a 9 year old kid had been killed at a baseball match when a bat hit his head. That is arguably sadder and a greater loss (the potential he may or may not have had).

red devil Wrote:

> I suspect that when someone famous dies the 'loss'

> people speak of is more personal than they

> realise, the loss of a time now gone...cheer up

> everyone, it's Monday :)

If someone has completed what they wanted from life and

is content it isn't so bad.

I hate it when someone dies and they never got to do what

they wanted to.

Taking friends and family out of the equation then we are analyzing whether a loss of someone you never met can be a sad loss. Of course it can.

Comparing it to the death of a child is just asking people to feel uncomfortable in feeling the loss of a celebrity, nothing wrong with feeling sympathy or some level of sadness or grief for our Cilla.

Death is the one certainty waiting all of us. In fact, it's a part of life, life's conclusion if you will. Yes it is sad to lose someone or something dear to us, and it's very final. I've dealt with grief multiple times during my time on this earth and anyone and everyone is entitled to feel grief regardless of how loose the connection may appear to the outside world.

Louisa.

Mick Mac Wrote:

> Taking friends and family out of the equation then

> we are analyzing whether a loss of someone you

> never met can be a sad loss. Of course it can.

>

> Comparing it to the death of a child is just

> asking people to feel uncomfortable in feeling the

> loss of a celebrity, nothing wrong with feeling

> sympathy or some level of sadness or grief for our

> Cilla.

There is nothing AT ALL wrong with feeling sadness at the death of any one, celebrity or not. I've felt pretty sad about deaths before now, Peaches Geldof for example made me sad because it was tragic and a total waste. Others think she was just a stupid spoilt skag head who deserves to burn in hell for abandoning her infant child. We all have different feelings about different things, that's fine.

But it's the "such a loss" / "great loss" thing that winds me up. A TV presenter who's hey day was well behind her. You could easily argue that someone like Heath Ledger was a greater "loss" in terms of what he still could have offered had he lived on.

I agree Otta. Or the great Marc Bolam, Amy Winehouse, Elvis Presley, Judy Garland.. The list is endless. Even sadder and on a daily basis young people are taken in horrific and tragic accidents, by cancer, murdered etc I just personally don't think anyone who isn't grieving is entitled to measure the level of grievance someone else may well feel. We are all entitled to deal with grief and take as long as want doing so regardless of the connection and the circumstances surrounding said persons demise.

Louisa.