Southwark council major works programe on properties - Saltash what a company???

Hi Chief,

I'm an opposition councillor. I've raised a large number of specific cases and have seen a few successes in getting things done.

But the choice of contractor is the Labour administration. The enforcement of the contract terms is the Labour administration.

If you have specific casework please email me so I can try and help.

I have been waiting since July for my numbers to be refitted to my door. Saltash pained my street door in July. I have already raised a complaint with Southwark Council, and received a poor response. I cant see anywhere to go with this, other than esculate the complaint to the review stage. Southwark council and taltash are hopeless

• 5 months later...
I had these problems with Southwarks major works on my old flat before we moved. It was 11 years ago and I'm sad to see it hasnt changed at all, they even varnished my front door while it was closed, sealing me out of my property - my neighbour helped me break in. Unbelievable.

• 3 weeks later...

To All southwark Leaseholders

If you are not aware there are some interesting changes taking place at southwark council homeowners dept. I attended the last homeowners seminar in November 2015 and was very pleased I did. Hearing stories from fellow leaseholders concerning huge service charge bills and how they challenged the council really inspired me.

I received this email and would like to share it with you all- Please pass on the message to other leaseholders thanks, the more people who know the better!

Best wishes *Tee*

Dear fellow Southwark Homeowner,

As you probably already know, the Homeowners information center announced at the last Homeowners Council seminar in November 2015 is progressing well.

At the seminar, the Homeowners council informed attendees that they will be updated on progress. Below is a quick update

The working group that has been working tirelessly to make sure this much needed service becomes a reality, was drawn from Homeowners council (HOC) and LAS2000 representatives.

Back in January 2016, Communities First (http://www.communitiesfirst.uk.com/) was appointed as the project manager to take the project forward to completion.

We are at the point now where we need to have expression of interest for volunteers who would like to be involved in the project, and would be keen to hear from you.

Due to the nature of the services that will be provided to all homeowners who pay service charge to Southwark council, the working group decided that it will be better to have a center that is truly independent. Hence, the center will be called Homeowners Independent Information Service (HOIIS).

The management board will be made up of homeowners only.

You will be updated as this progresses.

Please respond if you want to volunteer to help out (when the service proposed to be launched later in April 2016) becomes a reality.

Please note that the next Homeowners council Annual General meeting will take place on the 18th of May at 160 Tooley street, London SE1, at 7pm.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Michael Orey - Chair of Homeowners council

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Oddly enough, I just received a letter out of the blue from saltash, asking me if i am happy with the works, and if I dont respond within 14 days, the company will assume i am. Has anyone else receive such a letter, especially as we had the works completed last year?

As I was leaving my home yesterday, a person appraoched me and i asked me if i lived at a certain street number, I said no, that was next door. He appraoched my neighbour and said he was from Saltash, and was here to fix the windows. These are the windows which were painted closed in February 2015.

Apart from the huge time delay, the operative turned up to my neighbours home, bare chested. Keep up the high standards Saltash

• 5 months later...

Hi there, I wondered if all issues mentioned are now rectified by Saltash? I live on Crystal Palace Road, the quality home investment programme started in January 17. I haven't experienced major issues with Saltash as yet.

My windows were painted shut, however I was told by the liaison officer before works started that windows are usually painted shut, once the windows are painted Saltash will arrange with the tenant to open them. I was only told this after mentioning the numerous complaints on this thread. Yesterday a contractor wanted to start painting my front door after 4pm, which is ridiculous, gloss paint can take up to 6hrs to dry and I was not prepared to have my door open until late evening, however if I was at work I dread to think how I would have got into my home.

I am keen to know if any of the issues mentioned in this thread have been sorted? If yes, how long did they take to rectify the problem?

Thanks in advance

Of course issues re Saltash will not have been rectified. This is Southwark Council, for God's sake - one of Private Eye's infamous rotten boroughs. And of course your windows were painted shut. This council only uses cowboys. And how tragic/hilarious that the 'liaison officer' told you that windows are usually painted shut. Jesus. You couldn't make this up. Good luck to you.

My windows were painted shut after a long discussion about not doing this. I was amazed how much scaffolding they put up to paint one window and for how long ( 6 weeks ) they never finished painting my front door and I got the letter giving me two weeks to reply which I missed because of holidays. They were so badly organised nothing finished to a good standard. I am totally gobsmacked they can get away with such bad work over so many houses. I am glad I am a tennant as opposed to a leaseholder as they have to pay thousands.

• 3 months later...

hello everyone,

where shall i start??? i guess i should begin by saying that major works started on my property in north dulwich back in may 2015 when i was told that they would usually take 4 to 5 weeks to complete and what a joke that has become as saltash are still in my property today finishing this work which now consists of mainly rectifying their mistakes. they have been in an out of my property for 2 years, sometimes not turning up and not answering or returning my calls for months on end, namely winter months when the bosses seemingly go to ground in hot countries as they have turned up again in the spring very bronzed and when asked about this, they claim to have acquired said suntan in their garden, bull***. i have had all the above mentioned issues and many more. i am living with a chronic pain condition and i have to use a wheelchair, i have a low immune system and i am unable to look after myself properly. i am adding this info as saltash left me for the whole of last winter with large gaps in the windows in my bedroom. this made me so ill that i had to stay with my brother on and off for weeks on end to boost my immune system, my expensive curtains are covered in mildew and it has been so stressful that i have become depressed. i complained to southwark back in jan this year and one of mr mike balfour's team, craig partridge has been trying to help rectify saltash's shoddy work. craig has also taken over the job of dealing with their lack of professionalism which includes no shows, non communication and lies, as well as the awful standard of work. so here we are, 5 months along the line after my complaint was made to southwark and i can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel. today, saltash have sent along d&s (another contractor) to make good their previous shoddy work and i am hoping that by next week they will be out of my place for good. i decided to do a search this morning to see how others have been affected by saltash's blunders which lead me here. my personal opinion is that saltash are worthy of a rogue traders award and how and/or why southwark have contracted them to take on the job of making us warm, dry and safe is beyond me as they do not have the professionalism or workmanship to build a rabbit hutch. i have received compensation from southwark council for the damage to my curtains and i have been promised compensation from saltash for the stress and inconvenience they have caused me. i will be pushing for a far greater sum than has been suggested by them and if they are not willing to comply, i will be seeking advice from a solicitor. i am very willing to be part of a group to combat these people. what gives them the right to treat us with such contempt???

Interesting thread- Saltash did my house on Crystal Palace Road and they were brilliant. The only complaint I've got is that the extractor fan in the kitchen is not very powerful and is on all the time so the windows get steamed up if I cook rice properly instead of using the microwaveable stuff.

I read your message, and it really saddened me. 2 years, and still trying to get your works carried out? I am pretty sure you are entitled to compensation when this council contractor fails to keep an appointment. Have you contacted the council?

I am not impressed with southwark council over the lack of scrutiny and accountability for this contracting company. Where are these Clark of works from Southwark who are not inspecting the quality of these works?? This contracting company is receiving vast sums of public money??? I think this company has been left unmonitored, with no checks and balances from this council. The London Borough of Southwark has to share equal responsibility for this contracting company.

We have had the same problems work that has been charged for but not done e.g. Overhaul to 6 UPVC windows that were never asked to be opened.Overhaul 3 sash windows again not opened so how could work have been done. ?120 to clean a roof,?500 for 3 surveys plus other items.Been in contact with Southwark but no reply yet.Some of the work that was done is now already in a poor state of repair. And still no Final Bill sent out, for work completed in November 2015.

Just seen this post, so apologies for the delay in replying. I have had major problems with this company, Saltash, too numerous to list. After 2 years they have not carried out their snagging works. Also, I can categorically confirm that the "clerk of works" is employed by Saltash NOT Southwark council. How do I know that? Because when my shoddy work was so called signed off I asked the "clerk of works" if he was from Southwark Council and he said he was kind of independent but worked for Saltash. Methinks backhanders /dodgy dealing going on. At no point has anyone from Southwark council inspected these jokers work.

• 2 weeks later...
Also, apologies for not seeing this thread sooner. You need to know that the clerk of works is employed by Saltash NOT Southwark. How do I know this When the "clerk of works" attended my property to sign works off, Iasked him if he was from Southwark council, and he told me that he was employed by Saltash. That's all you need to know. Disgusting.

• 1 month later...

Have had a absolute nightmare time with Saltash. Scaffolding went up at the beginning of January and still no sign of an end to the works. They left rubbish lying around everywhere, no respect for the residents. All windows painted shut and the decorators painted directly onto the glass, then dry-scraped it off leaving scratches all over the glass. They finally agreed to replace the glass, but unfortunately the glaziers left shards of glass everywhere and split several of the window frames. The standard of work is shocking!! They're cowboys.

Has anyone made a formal complaint to Southwark?

We are trying to get work taken off our estimated bill for "work" completed in November 2015 still no final bill produced.They say they have done work but this is not the case rubbish was left around and windows painted shut.We are told they are still waiting for the final bill then we can ask for things to be removed.

• 11 months later...