formula milk - which one?

Ah, i didn't know that sillywoman, and it does make sense - but even if they could just outline the basics about bottle sterilising and give you a handout (they do this for most subjects covered in NCT classes for instance) that would be good. They do of course give instructions about how to mix formula on packets but not about sterilising, or amounts (they are rough guidelines - nothing on, for example, what to feed a low birth-weight premature baby). Maybe it was just me - I was particularly knocked for 6 by the whole birth/post natal experience and all over the place for the first few months - but I did find the logistics hard, not least because I just hadn't entertained needing to know them! There's also a lot of differeing opinion on whether to make up bottles in advance, since current DoH guidance is not to but many mums end up doing it anyway as it's much more practical. I think if ante natal classes could at least give a nod in the direction of bottle feeding it might make mums who end up doing it feel a bit better. Just my opinion...and apologies again to Bellenden Bear for going off your original topic.

You're right Belle, the problem is trying to figure out guidelines for pre-mixing and storage. Maybe I'm not so bright since the directions ARE on the package, but I found the information to be vague and to this day I'm certain that I did a lot of it unsafely. Especially days out requiring several bottles. When the health nurses stopped inviting me for breast feeding sessions because it clearly was a disaster, perhaps they could have gone to the same effort to help me to establish proper bottle feeding?

I went for Hipp just because it's the only organic brand I know of. I'm not obsessed with organic food in general (veg/fruit/bread etc - I think pesticides can be washed off quite well in most cases) but do like the idea of meat and dairy being organic since I'm worried about growth hormones. I actually have no idea how much cow's milk is actually present in formula with everything else that's added so I'm not even sure it was "necessary" to go for organic. Instead of researching this (which I was too busy and tired for at the time) I just went for organic by default. A very personal decision, nothing I want to claim as "better". My baby never had any problems transitioning to Hipp from breastmilk but she has never had any reflux or other digestive issues anyway so I'm not sure how a more sensitive tummy would react to it. Good luck with your decision!

You're SO right Chantelle - all about marketing - not much difference as far as I could tell.

There's been a lot on here recently on the forum about diffrerent types of milk - soy vs goats vs cows - with nearly as much angst and strongly held views as there seem to be with breast vs bottle! Am I off topic?? Sorry!

Think we Mums should give ourselves a break. There's enough to worry about and ALWAYS something to feel guilty about when you've got little ones!