63 Bus route extension to Honor Oak Park Station

I definitely support the extension as I live off Forest Hill Road. Take offence to Jeremy's comments that this is not of interest to ED residents - I certainly consider myself an ED resident. It is a good 20 min walk for me to the station and the bus on rainy day would be greatly appreciated.

I would also like to request that facilities be made available at Honor Oak Park to get a pushchair down to the platform, the stairs are a killer!

• 1 month later...

Hello! Thought I'd reawaken this thread instead of starting a new one, since it already answers a lot of questions people have.

We have now set up a new online petition for this campaign. Since going live last night it hasn't stopped growing! Find it here:

http://campaigns.libdems.org.uk/extendthe63

Now it doesn't matter is you normally vote Lib Dem or not. This petition is all about getting as many people as possible to add their voice to the calls for TfL to listen to local people. We won't contact you after you sign the petition, although you can choose to receive updates about this campaign, or any other lib dem news, if you want to.

So many people have contacted me to tell me how much they'd value this extension. The first stage in making it happen is for TfL to begin a bus route consultation on the route. We need as many signatures as possible to make this happen. Once they begin the bus route consultation we can then make them review some of the other problems on the route.

Please sign the petition!

Cheers

Laurie

www.laurieeggleston.org

www.twitter.com/Laurie1984

Hello! Thought I'd reawaken this thread instead of starting a new one, since it already answers a lot of questions people have.

We have now set up a new online petition for this campaign. Since going live last night it hasn't stopped growing! Find it here:

http://campaigns.libdems.org.uk/extendthe63

Now it doesn't matter is you normally vote Lib Dem or not. This petition is all about getting as many people as possible to add their voice to the calls for TfL to listen to local people. We won't contact you after you sign the petition, although you can choose to receive updates about this campaign, or any other lib dem news, if you want to.

So many people have contacted me to tell me how much they'd value this extension. The first stage in making it happen is for TfL to begin a bus route consultation on the route. We need as many signatures as possible to make this happen. Once they begin the bus route consultation we can then make them review some of the other problems on the route.

Please sign the petition!

Cheers

Laurie

www.laurieeggleston.org

The 63 would get stuck in traffic betweem the top of Forest Hill Road and Homor Oak Road/Brockley Rise. so its not a practical solution. Two other buseses already cover this route, P12 from the bottom of Brenchley Gardens and P4 from Honor Oak Park.

With the anticipated reduction in bus services as a whole ovwr the comoming months, it is highly unlikely tfl will entertain this proposition.

The 63 would get stuck in traffic betweem the top of Forest Hill Road and Homor Oak Road/Brockley Rise. so its not a practical solution. Two other buseses already cover this route, P12 from the bottom of Brenchley Gardens and P4 from Honor Oak Park.

With the anticipated reduction in bus services as a whole ovwr the comoming months, it is highly unlikely tfl will entertain this proposition.

trinity Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I too would support this extension. It seems like

> a sensible, quick and relatively low-cost solution

> to what is a problem for those of us who live on

> this side of ED. ED station is 2 bus rides away

> from me, P bus is too infrequent to be useful for

> commuting and walking takes 12 mins from half way

> up the hill over the top then to the station. Not

> a huge amount but it makes the commute to Canary

> wharf 1 hour long.

>

> It will be a big help for when the ELL comes to

> Honor Oak and may reduce the problems of traffic

> around the schools at the top of Forest Hill

> Road.

>

> There was another thread on this topic earlier

> this year and I seem to remember there was a fair

> amount of support for the idea there.

What trinity said, seems like common sense to me.

trinity Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I too would support this extension. It seems like

> a sensible, quick and relatively low-cost solution

> to what is a problem for those of us who live on

> this side of ED. ED station is 2 bus rides away

> from me, P bus is too infrequent to be useful for

> commuting and walking takes 12 mins from half way

> up the hill over the top then to the station. Not

> a huge amount but it makes the commute to Canary

> wharf 1 hour long.

>

> It will be a big help for when the ELL comes to

> Honor Oak and may reduce the problems of traffic

> around the schools at the top of Forest Hill

> Road.

>

> There was another thread on this topic earlier

> this year and I seem to remember there was a fair

> amount of support for the idea there.

What trinity said, seems like common sense to me.

I'm trying not to be cynical here but the LibDem 'petition' seems to be just a way for them to capture email adresses so that they can bombard you in the future with propaganda.

In order to sign up to the petition you must provide an email address - to them - before they will even bother to register your concern on the issue. Very different from scrawling your name on a petition sheet in a local shop etc. Shame because this is an issue that would benefit from genuine, honest, cross-party interest.

I'm trying not to be cynical here but the LibDem 'petition' seems to be just a way for them to capture email adresses so that they can bombard you in the future with propaganda.

In order to sign up to the petition you must provide an email address - to them - before they will even bother to register your concern on the issue. Very different from scrawling your name on a petition sheet in a local shop etc. Shame because this is an issue that would benefit from genuine, honest, cross-party interest.

@dc

Simply not true - people have signed without providing an email address. Name and postcode is all that's required.

The email address function is so people can received news about this campaign. You only need to supply an email address if you want the updates (or general lib dem news). Even if you do give us an email address and request updates, you can ask us to remove your details from the list at any time, and we will.

This really isn't a big lib dem conspiracy here, it is just us trying to do something which many many people have told us will make their lives easier.

Laurie

@dc

Simply not true - people have signed without providing an email address. Name and postcode is all that's required.

The email address function is so people can received news about this campaign. You only need to supply an email address if you want the updates (or general lib dem news). Even if you do give us an email address and request updates, you can ask us to remove your details from the list at any time, and we will.

This really isn't a big lib dem conspiracy here, it is just us trying to do something which many many people have told us will make their lives easier.

Laurie

I think it's a great idea. I actually live near Forest Hill Tavern and rely on #63 bus for all of my public transportation into town. If the bus is extended to Honor Oak, travelling to London Bridge and to and from Gatwick airport (Gatwick - East Croydon - Honor Oak Park) would be made a lot easier especially with luggage, kids etc.

• 1 month later...

I don?t know what the latest is from the Lib Dems but Val Shawcross (local Labour London Assembly Member) has sent the suggestion to the Network Planners at TfL buses to think about when they look at reconfiguring bus services around the new train services ? this may allow for some local changes/improvements despite the response TJ has received above. I?ll post on here as I hear anything further.

Also just to say that I?ve been emailed by a local resident today saying that they were told by a Lib Dem representative this weekend that Labour doesn?t support the extension. Misrepresentation like this does seem unhelpful as what we need is as much local support as possible for an integrated system, one that takes pressure off Peckham Rye/Rye Lane and one that leads to improvements that have the support of most people who live in our area.

On the other side of the argument, and to repeat several of the comments above, I would have to say that we have had quite a lot of concern expressed by local residents about whether extending the service to Honor Oak Park might reduce its frequency. I?ve noted what?s been said above about the four additional buses, but I?ve asked that when raising the extension with TfL planners, Val asks for some reassurances about frequency. Like lots of others on here I rely heavily on the 63 and 363 to get to and from work because they are so regular ? it?s one of the better services in our area so I?m keen to protect this as much as possible.

To also repeat comments made above, the other thing that many residents have expressed a great deal of concern is the problems of heavy traffic, parking, speeding and often dangerous driving on Forest Hill Road and especially the corner near Cabrini school. Alongside Cllr Aubyn Graham we?ve been pressing these concerns with the Community Council Transport sub-committee and council officers for some time. Many residents are worried that adding a 63 bus to these problems could increase the problems so it needs to be carefully thought through.

As a bit of background, I understand that Cabrini does have a walk to school policy but many children simply live too far away from the school to walk and the parking issue has worsened in recent years as many families who used to take the P12 from Peckham and Nunhead now drive as this bus is so horrendously unreliable and too infrequent at peak times.

There is a strong case for better traffic control at the junction with Brenchley Gardens, extending the lollipop lady?s hours (she doesn?t cover the nursery changeover at lunchtime or after school activities), and a pedestrian crossing at the top of the hill where it?s a real nightmare to cross with cars whizzing round the corner and where children from both Cabrini and Fairlawn cross.

Apologies that this is lots of information but I think my point would be that the 63 extension is a good idea and it might encourage more parents to stop driving children to school, but we are doing various bits of campaigning to make sure that there is proper traffic management and good new crossing points in this part of Forest Hill Road as we think this is vital before we start sending 63 buses down to Brockley Rise.

Victoria.

Peckham Rye Labour

[email protected]

Sorry, but please do not put in any further traffic calming measures at the top of Forest Hill Road, we have enough already and any more will make walking faster than on the current public transport, i.e. the P12 which runs along Forest Hill Road and up Brenchley Gardens that everyone seems to have forgotton. An extension to the 63 is NOT required as the P12 already operates here. There is already far too much traffic on Forest Hill Road, extending the 63 will cause further traffic congestion especially during term time. result in traffic using the side turnings i.e. Netherby and Canonbie roads, pushing traffic off the main road into these minor roads, result in Honor Oak Park becoming jammed particularly on the bend towards the station, its already narrow and will result in three bus routes on Honor Oak Park (is that really needed? NO)

Can I suggest local politicians stop interfering for political point scoring and go and concentrate on more important matters. By the way has anyone been in touch with local resident groups to get there input as it will have a dignificant impact. DONE.

Glad you're supporting the campaign Vikki. But yes, bit surprised that you've never mentioned your support for this earlier. Please do sign the petition and let me know how Val gets on. As with the South London Line campaign, if all the parties pressure TfL then it's harder for them to ignore people.

It has always been made clear with our discussions with TfL that service standards and frequencies be maintained. We're asking for extra resources, not trying to stretch out the current services further. The reason the P12 isn't used much as it's too unreliable to be useful - especially for going to work etc, so any 63 extension must remain reliable.

Currently we are collecting signatures to lobby TfL with, to try and force a bus route consultation so that they examine the issues around this route (linking the network, schools, Rye Lane congestions, etc) and take action to address them. People can add their names here: http://campaigns.libdems.org.uk/extendthe63 Several people have offered to take sheets and collect signatures in their own roads. Anyone interested in this please let me know.

@dbboy - Southwark Rail Users Group, the Honor Oak Rise Residents Association and Forest Hill Society all support this proposal.

thanks,

Laurie

www.laurieeggleston.org

Don Quixote I posted as I was keen to clear up the misrepresentation by Laurie and his team and I'm sure that he would support Val's involvement in improvements to local bus services.

dbboy - I think many of the points you raise reflect the diversity of views on this issue that I tried to set out above. I'm really keen that both council officers and TfL planners see all sides of the arguments. Unlike the Lib Dem candidates, who don't live in the area, we use the 63 everyday and have close contact with parents at Cabrini school so inevitably we're interested in this as local residents.

Laurie - we've been talking to residents about this for some time. Would be very happy to sign a cross-party petition that fully reflects the concerns I and other residents have set out on this thread. Your petition doesn't do this and is too simplistic.

Sorry am not interested in political points scoring, if people want to do that please take it elsewhere.

Having lived on these hills for close to 50 years and being a frequent user of both 63, 363 and P12, I feel strongly about this. Furthermore I disagree with you, the P12 I find is a relaible service, leave things as they are and stop meddling.

This has nothing to do with either the Forest Hill Sooiety and even less to do with Southwark Rail Users Group??. You should contact Twekesbury Lodge Estate Residents Association who represent those liveing in the roads off Forest Hill Road, i.e. Netherby, Canonbie, Westwood Park, Ringmore Rise, Tweksbury Avenue, Horninan Drive plus a few others to get their views.

A number of members of the Forest Hill Society live on the Horniman hill, within the TLERA area and on the roads on the other side of Honor Oak Road. The residents who have been most in favour of the extension are the people who live in exactly the roads you mention. They tell me that they are fed up with having to walk/push buggies up the hill when the bus dumps them at the cemetry.

Switching to the P12 means waiting for longer than it takes to walk up the hill and will cost you an extra ?1.20 (the same as it costs to travel all the way from Kings Cross to Wood Vale).

Given the frequency of the 63 at peak hours it would be difficult to take all the buses over the hill, but I strongly support continuing some of these buses up to Honor Oak Park station, even if continuing all the buses would be too difficult/costly/noisy for residents. Although reliability is important, if the destination is made clear on the front of the bus then passengers would be able to choose whether to walk up the hill or wait for the next bus. I suggest that a pilot scheme is put in place as soon as possible. It sounds like buses running on this route would remove cars from the route rather than add more, so some of the justified concerns may turn out to be unfounded.