Intone Records, 48 Peckham Rye?

CraigJam

Hope your well,

Craig here. I'm doing some social history research on music in Peckham and South East London. Really interested to hear about Intone Records, which appeared to be Peckham premier stockist of soul and reggae music, or any other stories or info about other record shops and vinyl suppliers in the area. Really would be a pleasure to hear from you.

Many thanks

Craig

Red records was in the high street late 70s and early 80s, Reeds Music/record shop was off the lane for years and I certainly used it while I was at Peckham Manor, but I also used Jones and Higgins as they had listening booths in the 60s and 70s. There was also another record shop in Choumert road but the name of it escapes me.

GSJ57 Folletts was still there in the 70's as well (maybe even the 80's?).

I seem to remember that Reeds was owned by the same people who owned Folletts, which was run by their daughter (name escapes me) and her husband, Brian. When it closed, Brian worked across the road in the electrical shop, Edwardes? which is now the coffee shop.

That's when E.D. had some character (sits back and awaits stampede !!!!).

CraigJam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This is all great stuff folks, keep it coming! I'm

> a right in saying that Jones and Higgins was he

> luxury listening experience?

>

> best

> Craig

Craig, it was nice way to waste away a few hours on a Saturday or during a lunch during my time at Peckham Manor because it was a way of keeping out of the cold in the autumn and winter months.

BJL Wrote:

> CraigJam - you really ought to contact EDF member

> Leon Parker, who runs this site - British Record

> Shop Archive.

This a nice site but it only seems to have photos of record bags or photos of shops past and present but nothing I can find by way of reminiscences/stories relating to these stores, many of which I've visited.

Laur Wrote:

> Reads Record shop mentioned here in these 2

> links:

>

> http://www.charliegillett.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2

> &t=22670

>

> http://www.peckhamsociety.org.uk/letters/

>

> There was also the A.1,RECORD STORE AT WALWORTH

> ROAD (One shop away from the corner of East

> Street)

Also had a stall in the lane at the Walworth Road end on the same side of the road as Rossi ice cream shop, photos of which occasionally pop up on the Facebook group "Now and then Walworth" The stall was a meeting point for many of us that lived down the lane in the 60's and 70's.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought some of my records in Woolworths, Camberwell, Brixton and Peckham (from the mid 70s). Then most, including my lovers rock collection in the early 80s and other 12" were bought from the A1 stores in Walworth Road.

From the front the A1 looked like it only sold ornaments and lighting.