former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

That junction is on the border between Southwark and Lewisham. The border runs down the middle of Wood Vale there and then south along the middle of Forest Hill Road going SE from there.

But I've pinged an email to the probably lead officer and as soon as I have any information will share it with you.

James, As a motorist, I find I have very poor visibility on exiting Whateley Rd into Lordship Lane, because the kerbside railing obscures my view. I can't tell whether there's any car or cyclist coming from the right as I can't see the road behind the railing. I just. have to wait awhile to give anything which may be there time to pass, before moving forward. When TfL began removing railings everywhere, I didn't approve, as they were removing ones I thought were important for pedestrian safety. However, I was looking to the removal of these ones, as I consider them to be a hazard, but it seems they're here to stay. Could an officer from the Council's road safety department assess the need for these railings for pedestrian safety against the visual obstruction they are causing?

Hi kiera,

I've asked council officers this question.

with Lordship Lane being 20mph I would hope from a pedestrian safety angle they would no longer be needed which from the sound of it would make this a little safer for motorists exiting from whateley Road.

I've also asked about the railings utside 116A Lordship Lane which I'm told date from when it was used a Roman Catholic School many many year ago. Recently had some railings removed from Archdale Road from when a school was there - over 20 years ago!

I agree with Kiera.

I also think the junction of Barry road & Underhill road is very dangerous as cars fly down Barry Road & it's

Impossible to see them either side when you're trying to get across. Hopefully some more improvements can be made here too.

Hi AnitaOG,

Barry Road and Underhill Road I organised council road safety manager (sadly since left Southwark Ocuncil) local Police to review this junction. Raised entry treatments to the side road junction were added, with STOP signs and according ot www.crashmap.co.uk. During 2012 no reported crashes occurred there. 2010 & 2011 6 crashes occurred.

This means we can now look at other junctions and areas that have more crashes.

James, can you help with the problem of junk mail and those that deliver it?

On many occasions now I have arrived home to find the letter box stuck open with mail protruding. Aside from losing expensive heat from the house this is also like an invitation to any dodgy characters, advertising that the occupants are out. Any ideas how those who deliver unsolicited mail can be persuaded or even compelled to push it all the way through through the letter box?

Hi first mate,

I'd recommend you sign up for the Mailing Preference Service. Marketeers then remove you from marketing lists and you get close to zero junk mail. http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/

To reduce mail addressed to "The Occupier", write to

Freepost RRBT-ZBXB-TTTS

Door to Door Opt Outs

Royal Mail

Kingsmead House

Oxpens Road

OXFORD

OX1 1RX

Or email: [email protected]

To reduce the takeaway leaflets get a sticker asking for no junk mail. Southwark certainly used to issue them on request but doesn't anymore - it reduced it recycling rate is one theory I was told. You can get one online from Veolia on: 0114 273 4567 or email: [email protected]

James. I'm glad you agree about the kerbside railings and that you are already doing something about it - thank you. Would I be right in thinking that these railings on Lordship.Lane are the responsibility of Transport for London, as Lordship Lane is a bus route? Also, as two other drivers have now agreed with me that these railings obscure their view of the road, I consider that whichever authority is responsible should treat this as a road safety issue and therefore give it a higher priority than just removing redundant street furniture. I consider it's particularly dangerous for cyclists at this point on Lordship Lane, as, in my experience, a cyclist approaching from the right would not be visible to a motorist waiting in Whateley Road. I hope this junction can soon be made safer.

James, I too try to avoid the Whateley/LL junction due to poor visibility. It is probably ok if you are in a high vehicle and can see over the top of the railings. If you add a couple of people waiting to cross at the lights. this also obscures the on coming traffic

Hi Kiera,

No lordship lane railings are a Southwark Council responsibility. With TfL buses running along Lordship Lane they are consulted in changes that will slow the buses but no more.

And yes I am treating it as a road safety issue. If you look at the reported crash data www.crashmap.co.uk it suggest the problem lies between Whateley and Melbourne Grove.

In response to complaints about Colyton Road/Forest Hill Road crossing council officers have eventually obtained the below from TfL. It effectively says the green phase for people walking is not sufficient but the red light for motor vehicles doesn't go green for a little longer so people walking will probably be out of harms way...

To: Barber, James

Sent: Fri Nov 22 11:05:10 2013

Subject: RE: Enquiry 330919 Pedestrian crossing time at the traffic signals Colyton/Dunstans/Forest Hill junction (ref: 330919)

Dear Councillor Barber,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you we were not happy with the first response we received from TfL which was as follows:

Traffic signals Peckham Rye Forest Hill Road Colyton Road

Thank you for your recent communication with regards to the traffic

signals at the above location.

At traffic signals the green man time is an invitation to cross designed

to allow all pedestrians waiting to cross to step onto the crossing.

Pedestrians are not expected to cross the whole carriageway width in

this time. The clearance period that follows allows everyone on the

crossing to complete the movement before vehicle signals change to

green, this clearance time is extended by detectors monitoring the

crossing confirming the presence of moving pedestrian .

TfL had promised to go on site and check the signals were working correctly. After much chasing we finally received the following response today:

Following concerns raised about the detectors that extend the pedestrian clearance period, an engineer visited the site to check their operation.

All detectors were found to be operating correctly and the clearance period was being extended when required as per the junction design.

Kind regards

Hi James,

I'm sure you've noticed the numerous threads that have gone up in the last few days about burglaries, muggings etc. can you please try and get some uniformed police patrols in the area, as we are clearly in the cross hairs of the scum bags that do this and despite arrests before, things appear to have got worse not better.

How odd chillychap. Sorry. I've PM'd to wrk which housing case I've not responsed to.

Hi Kiera,

Officers have told me I have to find ?250 for a railing assessment to be undertaken. I've found sufficient funds for all railings on Lotrdshop Lane to be assessed. Hopefully it wont take long for the assessment to be undertaken.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Kiera,

> Officers have told me I have to find ?250 for a

> railing assessment to be undertaken. I've found

> sufficient funds for all railings on Lotrdshop

> Lane to be assessed. Hopefully it wont take long

> for the assessment to be undertaken.

Dear Cllr Barber. How much in total please, and where exactly did you "find" the money? Thanks.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi AnitaOG,

> Barry Road and Underhill Road I organised council

> road safety manager (sadly since left Southwark

> Ocuncil) local Police to review this junction.

> Raised entry treatments to the side road junction

> were added, with STOP signs and according ot

> www.crashmap.co.uk. During 2012 no reported

> crashes occurred there. 2010 & 2011 6 crashes

> occurred.

> This means we can now look at other junctions and

> areas that have more crashes.

James, I think it's only a matter of time before we have another crash here. I challenge you to cross Barry Road a few times at this junction and then tell me it's not still dangerous. You simply cannot see if any cars are coming - and as AnitaOG says, they fly down that part of Barry Road.

Hi Kiera,

To investigat ethis will take officer time and they havent allowed any budgets for this hence why I#ve had to find the money in another budget and have it reallocated.

Hi unlurked,

Making Lordship Lane 20mph was funded by a Cleaner, Greener, Safer application. That project came in ?4,000 under budget so ?750 of this will be used to fund the research at 3 sites. If it shows the railings can be removed presumably some more of that ?4,000 wil lbe required.

Hi Loz,

When can I visit your sofa!

Hi olly,

We have finite public resources to allocate. We have locations which have more crashes than the Underhill/Barry Road junction since we improved it.

The Underhill/Barry Road junction officers suggested ss many improvement as they could think of for the cash available. The problem is either we need buckets more cash and put a raise treatment covering Barry Road. That would certainly slow down all the traffic but as likely cause neighbouring residents building vibrations. OR ban parking for 50m in all directions - but that's as likely to make Barry Road drivers go faster with better sight lines.

Another option is average speed cameras which should be self funding when people exceed the speed limit.