former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

I'd also like to know why the white lines, preventing parking across a driveway with a dropped kerb, have been extended to the point that it is now impossible to park between the driveways.

I can confirm that the white lines about my dropped kerb, and those of the houses around me, have not been extended. You will still see the initial 'chalk' marks put in before the work commenced to mark the lines. I checked (I was nosy) and they exactly matched the positions of the existing lines. The new lines are in line with these (in my case actually slightly 'in' from the chalk mark meaning the white line is a fraction shorter than it was (by millimetres). I suspect the extreme whiteness of the lines (they were quite worn out before) has made them look more obtrusive, but I do not believe they actually are any longer, certainly mine isn't. There is one part that has a 'parking' section smaller than a vehicle, but that was always so, the owner of the house parks across it and his own white line over his dropped kerb.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> > I can confirm that the white lines about my dropped kerb, and those of the houses around me,

> have not been extended.

The lines outside my house and the two houses either side have definitely been extended. It was possible to park a car either side of my driveway. Now, the lines would just about allow you to fit a motorbike. I think we must be a bit closer to Belvoir than you.

Hi fazer71,

I'm a member of the Heathrow Action Campaign Against Noise. Have been for a decade or more. I would encourage others to join.

When leading the council the Lib Dems ensured Southwark Council supported financially court cases with other local councils around noise.

Hi edanna,

Yes, I have read the Dementia Manifesto and my goup and I fully support it.

Hi P68,

No decisions have been brought to the Dulwich Community Council to remove traffic calming measures from Underhill Road or other local roads. If traffic calming is removed it should be replaced. If it isnt in the next week or so please email me and I'll chase.

Hi Olly,

Yes, seems bizarre. White H bar markings shouldnt be needed but nor should double yellow lines of junction corners either. But human being humans they need reminders. The Street Design Manual appears to have become an excuse for the umpardonable. It was used to block segregated cycle lanes on East Dulwich Grove. It needs to be scrapped and some decent Dutch or Danish traffic engineers come up with a replacement.

The lines outside my house and the two houses either side have definitely been extended.

I have now checked and the lines at my end have the cross-piece of the T bar in line with the start of the curb drop (the small slab which slopes) - as they always have - but I have noted that further up towards Belvoir the T cross does seem to be positioned some way in to the adjacent, undropped, curb for some houses. That may account for the 'loss' of unmarked parking space.

I have always taken the view that the key parking rule is not to park actually over the dropped element (the lines are only advisory) so as not to block entry or exit from drives - so the postioning of the lines, even if apparently extended, should not, in fact, act as any curb to parking which does not block drives.

No decisions have been brought to the Dulwich Community Council to remove traffic calming measures from Underhill Road or other local roads.

The road has now been marked up suggesting that the humps will be replaced on 17th March - 6 days after the initial resurfacing.

James,

My next door neighbour lives in a council owned property. During the winter some fence panels were blown down. Someone from the council has been to clear away the broken panels but apparently my neighbour has been told that council will not replace the missing panels. New council policy apparently. Is this true? Does the council now expect it's tenants to maintain its housing stock? In this case a 90+ year old pensioner. Or does the council expect other private residents to do this?

Alex

Hi savage,

Yes, Southwark Council drew up a list of things it no longer will maintain. So it no longer maintains fences of properties.

Weird decision with no caveat for people in poverty who really can;t afford to replace things like fences. Even just the materials can run to hundres of pounds.

Even stranger is if someone was in proviate rented accomodation no one would expect them to undertake such repairs.

However, in rare circumstances I've seen exceptions made. If you could email direct with the property number I can try and get an exception made for them.

I'm very excited. I've just been told that the former Garden Centre next to East Dulwich station will be demolished during April and works will begin to building 20 new flats, a shop unit and long desired new Grove Vale library.

I came up with the new Grove Vale library 9 years ago so can;t wait to see it open summer 2015.

I have posted the comment below on the thread relevant to recent resurfacing work in Underhill road, but post it here as well as James has shown an interest in this. Although on (the other side of) the borders of his patch it may have knock-on into his.

Work on restoring the road humps never progressed past the first one (closest to Belvoir) leaving two more, scheduled to be done today, undone. Work stopped mid-morning.

I assume that if it is started again tomorrow it will (again) interrupt the bin collection - making life more difficult for what most of us think of as vital workers.

And if it isn't, then parking will have been blocked on the road (in anticipation of the humnp work) for an extensive time.

I do wish the council and their contractors (Conway, of course) could get their acts together. They 'repair' the only part of Underhill which wasn't actually broken (no pot holes), they disrupt their own waste services on at least one day, if not two, and they discomode people living and parking locally, without ever giving anyone individual notice of their intentions. Just because of recent inclement weather conditions, it isn't a requirement that they be such a shower.

Re: East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Posted by James Barber March 13, 09:18PM

I'm very excited. I've just been told that the former Garden Centre next to East Dulwich station will be demolished during April and works will begin to building 20 new flats, a shop unit and long desired new Grove Vale library.

I came up with the new Grove Vale library 9 years ago so can;t wait to see it open summer 2015.

Great, another 40 cars parked in Melbourne Grove and surrounding streets. Thanks.

Hi P68,

I agree.

Hi AF,

Our part of Southwark on average have 56% car ownership per average household. As majority of properties are houses it seems reasonable to assume these 20 flats will result in fewer than 10 cars.

The developer has a condition on their planning application that they will provide free car club membership to occupants for several years.

Not much else we can do while the majority of people in the area have expressed a desire to avoid controlled parking.

You can assume but you can't predict with any accuracy at all. I wish that would be realised. *sighs*

And this silly business of free car clubs** - doesn't that usually apply to the new development and for just 3 years? What about the residents and what happens after 3 years? Everything is then stuck as it is.

I'm not complaining on this development just saying it how it is across the board. More and more "essential" housing is being introduced. Less and less space is left.

ETA** how many car clubs are there in the area?

I agree with KK about car club schemes. Such a scheme is also proposed as a mitigation for the proposed M&S development (sorry to bring that old chesnut into this discussion!). I think it is nothing more than a token gesture that is used by Southwark Council and developers to show they are doing something about parking/road stress. In reality I find it hard to believe that it would have any significant effect (there is no guarantee that any buyers would take it up and not bring cars with them), particualrly as KK points out it expires after 3 years anyway!

James Barber - do you REALLY believe that the offer of a 3 year car club membership is an effective means of mitigating some of the negative effects of development?

There is plenty of parking in ED to absorb local demand. Obviously, however, there isn't enough to absorb demand for the whole of the borough. If people would realise that a low key (ie a mere 2 hours per day) zoned parking scheme were introduced, there really wouldn't be an issue. A huge proportion of parked cars around Melbourne Gv that was mentioned are cars that are owned by commuters who live miles away! You can't insist on free-for-all parking and then stifle all future development into the bargain. People of ED have made their bed. Sleep in it.

worldwiser,

This is not about trying to stifle 'all development' at all (well, at least not from me). I am pro development - it is essential for the future of our area. I just think that development should be sympathetic. Freeholders/developers will usually try to wring out as much value from their property as they can (who wouldn't), so ourselves and the Council should act as a natural counterpoint to ensure that they are not given complete free reign to over-develop and cause problems.

I think the CPZ argument is a separate one (and one I've never been involved in and dont intend to get involved in here) to the issue I was raising. James suggests that Southwark can't do much because the majority of locals are in opposition to CPZ. But developments can be limited by the Council and conditions placed upon them to ensure they include parking provision. I can't see how limited duration car club membership schemes would be effective in any way, and suspect they may be an easy way for the Council to approve development whilst also showing (the local population) that they have done something about the parking issue. So, I would like to repeat my question:

James - do you REALLY believe that the offer of a 3 year car club membership is an effective means of mitigating some of the negative effects of development?

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi AF,

> Not much else we can do while the majority of

> people in the area have expressed a desire to

> avoid controlled parking.

How about refusing planning permission unless the developers alter their plans for underground car parking or limit the number of flats for space for a residents car park.

The site next to East Dulwich station is served by 5 bus routes. It's hard to justify under ground parking wine it sits on top of so much public transport.

The level of public transport accessibility is called the PTAL. Sacle of 1 to 6. 5 or 6 is considered excellent. This site is a 6.

James,

Back to my question (a general one, not specifically related to this development):

Do you REALLY believe that the offer of a 3 year car club membership is an effective means of mitigating some of the negative effects of development?