Learned a new word today

silverfox

If the above definition is correct the cromulance of a neolgism is lost the moment it neologosity has ceased and it has entered into everyday usage.

Is offtopicate still cromulent or has it become accepted in this here community. In fact does colloquial acceptance give rise to a local loss of cromulence but mean it can still maintain it elsewhere?

In fact has the mere fact that The Simpsons coined it invalidated the cromulence of both cromulent and embiggen?

Of course that isn't necessarily the definitive definition, but agreed it is a bit head bending.

Im liking brendans new word though think 'Simpsonulisms' works a bit better. Do they extend to neologisms from any tv programme, only animated programs or from anything thats embraced by all who are a bit geeky.

I'm not saying I'm alot like comic book guy, I'm not saying that at all.

I suppose if you can have a vague definition then a definitive definition is also possible.

True, bt the essence wild he true in all four.

There's a sort of beauty to this sentence, one can imagine scholars stroking their beards and gently pondering possible meanings.

Moos wrote:- True, bt the essence wild he true in all four.

There's a sort of beauty to this sentence, one can imagine scholars stroking their beards and gently pondering possible meanings.

Or perhaps stroking their beards whilst attempting to define what his drug regime was when he penned it.

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

put this on your Christmas list Silverfox!

Wow, thanks for that Peckhamgatecrasher, Christmas has come early for me and you've certainly got my measure!

The words fornale, to spend one?s money before it has been earned; cagg, a solemn vow or resolution not to get drunk for a certain time; shot clog, an Elizabethan term for a drinking companion only tolerated because he pays for the round certainly sum me up while deipnosophist, a Jacobean word for a skillful dinner conversationalist, only in my dreams.

I'm feeling a bit crambazzled this morning but enjoyed your present.

PS, are you a stridewallop?

gyve

As in "The Chair will gyve us if we don't behave"

gyve [ j?v ]

noun (plural gyves)

Definition:

leg shackle: a shackle or fetter, usually for the leg ( usually used in the plural )

transitive verb (past and past participle gyved, present participle gyv?ing, 3rd person present singular gyves)

Definition:

shackle: to shackle or fetter somebody, especially by the leg

• 2 weeks later...

According to today's Daily Mail we all know that the longest word in the English language is

Floccinaucinihili-pilification, meaning inconsiderable or trifling. I didn't.

Floccinaucinihili-pilification (Pronunciation flok-suh-naw-suh-nahy-hil-uh-pil-uh-fi-key-shuhn]

Noun: the estimation of something as worthless, or the habit of doing so.

It has even spawned the back formations floccinaucical "inconsiderable, trifling" and floccinaucity "a matter of small consequence".

Usage

The first known written instance of floccinaucinihilipilification, as recorded in the Oxford English Dictionary, is in 1741, in a published letter by William Shenstone. The quotation is: "I loved him for nothing so much as his flocci-nauci-nihili-pili-fication of money." Other notable users of the word have included Robert Southey (in the Quarterly Review 14:334, 1816), and Walter Scott (Journal 18, 1829). Scott, however, replaced the "nauci" component with "pauci".

The feminine noun construction, floccinaucinihilipilificatrix, can be found in the Robert A. Heinlein novel The Number of the Beast.

On July 20, 1999, during the (ultimately failed) ratification process of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) in the U.S. Senate, North Carolina Senator and Foreign Relations Committee chairman Jesse Helms, an ardent opponent of the treaty, in response to 45 Democrats asking him to allow hearings on the treaty, left little doubt that he was enjoying his role as a spoiler when he wrote "I note your distress at my floccinaucinihilipilification of the CTBT [but] I do not share your enthusiasm for this treaty for a variety of reasons."

Word Origin & History

floccinaucinihilipilification

"action or habit of estimating as worthless," 1741, a combination of four Latin words (flocci, nauci, nihili, pilifi) all signifying "at a small price" or "for nothing," found in a section of the Eton Latin Grammar. The word is said to have been invented as an erudite joke by a student of Eton College, who found in his textbook four ways of saying "don't care" and combined them:

flocci facere (from floccus, -i a wisp or piece of wool)

nauci facere (from naucum, -i a trifle)

nihili facere (from nihilum, -i nothing; something valueless (lit. "not even a thread" from ni+hilum)) Example being: "nihilism"

pili facere (from pilus, -i a hair; a bit or a whit; something small and insignificant)

silverfox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> gyve

>

> As in "The Chair will gyve us if we don't behave"

>

>

>

> gyve [ j?v ]

>

> noun (plural gyves)

>