New opportunity to save the woods!! Deadline Friday 23rd

Michaelcb

• 4 weeks later...

Destroying woods on One Tree Hill. Tomorrow November 25, is the deadline for asking the Church of England, Diocese of Southwark, to no approve Southwark Council plans to cut down woods on One Tree Hill in Camberwell Old Cemetery. Paper letters only. Mail them by last post today.

go to http://www.savesouthwarkwoods.org.uk/object-now

Lewis Schaffer

Nunhead Resident. American. Two children in area. Lived here since 2000.

I am a real person. If you respond to this post please tell everyone who you are. That will make sure we are nice to each other.

Yes if you think cutting down 22 trees, spending ?100,000s of public money and upsetting a large proportion of the electorate simply to provide 8 months worth of grave space is a sustainable burial strategy.

Considering the massive cuts to other services they are going to have to make I simply I can't believe this is a high enough priority for public money to be spent.

Hi P68,

My understanding is they have a petition with close to 10,000 signatures of which 1,500+ live in Peckham Rye ward. Whether this would affect how they vote is another matter. Clearly the current administration don't feel any particular heat from all these people at the moment.

You clearly feel the other way to this campaign. You could always run a petition yourself or another thread for chopping down those trees, spending millions subsidising some burials.

"You could always run a petition yourself or another thread for chopping down those trees, spending millions subsidising some burials."

Why would someone get up a petition asking the council to do something they've already decided to do? Why start another thread to debate the same issue (unless the intention of campaigners is to drown out any voices other than their own?

It seems pretty clear that on this forum, at least amongst those that have expressed a view, there is substantial support for both sides. It's likely that in the wider area there are many, many people who don't care either way. This plan will either go ahead or not, and the world will not end. In the mean time it is incredibly tiresome to see multiple threads started by 'anti' campaigners, and posts on those threads saying "so you don't care about environmental armageddon/my child's favourite tree etc. etc." Please give it a rest.

DaveR, I agree that multiple threads are not helpful. Other than that, will not "give it a rest" - isn't this the point of a forum? You are at liberty to disagree but I for one am not happy at the prospect of damage to local woodland on the much cherished One Tree Hill. I see no reason why the same burial strategy should not consume the Honor Oak Rec also - it is just not sustainable.

edhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> James Barber Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > My understanding is they have a petition with

> > close to 10,000 signatures of which 1,500+ live

> in

> > Peckham Rye ward.

>

> Tut, tut.

>

> That's naughty, Mr Barber.

>

> John K

So where do the rest of them live?

In the UK?

HopOne Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I see no reason why

> the same burial strategy should not consume the

> Honor Oak Rec

Isn't that the land acquired with foresight by Camberwell Vestry/Council for burial expansion?

The ball-players are occupying land planned for burials a long time ago.

John K