Please help with evening meals

Ellie78

I thought of two more:

Vegetable fritters - eggs, flour, some baking powder, a small tin of sweetcorn, grated cheese, grated courgette & finely chopped onion or whatever vegetables you have, and a spoonful of green pesto for flavour. The proportions don't really matter and it cooks very quickly in a frying pan / flat griddle.

Lettuce boats - sausage meat, chopped green pepper and mushrooms fried up together with some Chinese 5 spice, then add some plum sauce. Serve with cos / romaine lettuce or Chinese leaves to put the mixture into, & chilli sauce for the grown ups to add on top. The cold crunchy lettuce is really delicious with the hot salty / sweet filling and it's still reasonably healthy and very quick. I invented that one in desperation one day to use up the random things we had in the fridge but have made it on purpose lots of times since. I was certain my son would reject the lettuce and pick out all the peppers, but because we called it boats & he could eat with his hands (& he was really hungry!) he ate it all and loved it.

Leinster, I am surprised you find milk alternatives rubbish for cooking. We use Rice Dream and it's absolutely fine in everything, including on its own. For mashed potatoes, we just use olive oil as I prefer butter to the marg he eats, but apart from that. I do risotto without cheese and dairy, with a good stock, he loves it. Winter is great for various stews. Potatoe cakes and rostis are good. It's the summer where things get tricky. Hope you found some inspiration from these recipes.

Frozen vegetables are a lifesaver - broccoli, mixed vegetables, corn, peas, corn on the cob, spinach are all staples. Soy beans are a good snack while food being cooked (with a bit of lurpak and a pinch of salt for an older kid). Can be used in many of the meals people have suggested including omelettes etc. Frozen fish (I bulk buy fresh and freeze it or buy frozen cod/salmon) is another good one to have if your family likes fish. I also put meat like mince into freezer bags so takes less space in freezer. Bulk buy with a fortnightly shop delivered to the house.

I also make my own bread once or twice a week (depending if I make it home in the evening!) so it's a handy fall back that I don't feel guilty about - it's a no-yeast soda bread which takes about 5 minutes to weigh out/mix and then takes 45 minutes in the oven.

500g plain flour (I use about 50-50 wholemeal spelt and white spelt to reduce wheat consumption, but can use any)

1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

1/2 tsp of salt (or more to taste)

300ml full-fat yogurt (Greek yogurt has worked best)

200ml milk (whole or semi)

Mix the dry ingredients together (use a hand whisk to blend the ingredients). You can add things like pumpkin seeds or dried fruit as well. Mix the yogurt and milk. Mix the wet and dry together - like a cake batter, just need to ensure all the dry flour blends in. Is quite sticky. Put some oil on baking tray and pour batter out. No need to shape - will form a rustic loaf. Bake for 45 minutes at 200c. Take out of oven and cool before moving to cutting board.

Pancakes - fruit toppings, maple syrup/ice cream

My daughter seems to prefer fruit salad to just a single piece of fruit (again, you can liven this up with yoghurt, honey, ice cream, nuts, dried fruit)

Flap jacks - homemade so you can control the amount of sugar etc added

Fruit muffins (again, home made)

Banana cake (home made)

Stir fry egg noodles that you find in the salad section at the supermarket - quick to cook and an alternative to potatoes or rice. Gammon steak. And crumbing veal schnitzel is really quick. Confession - DS had bacon sarnies and cucumber for dinner tonight, we have a quick turnaround for cricket nets...

Oh, and spaghetti carbonara.

This is amazing.

I'm so sorry it's taken ages for me to reply with thanks: a truly crap week.

I'm now collapsed on the sofa with a glass of wine, thinking through all your suggestions, and it feels a really good place to be.

First, thanks for the basic reassurance that some frozen food is ok! I think I tunnel visioned into a place where that wasn't possible. Daft! I am trying fish fingers this week. Much better than toast.

Second, all your suggestions sound really tasty. I think I just have to make some things Normal for him. He shrinks away from risotto, for instance, because I made a very salty one once that he hated. If these recipes are part of what we do I think he'll react better.

I'll post a better response soon, which fully recognises how grateful I am for the guidance and the sense of camaraderie. It's sooooo good to hear it's not just me. Whilst, like a lot of you, our son gets

A great deal of nutrition from nursery (and we are very happy with the food there) I am aware that, whilst not necessarily 'necessary', it's about establishing associations between home and food that is going to last the years!

No pressure then! He he.

dont put pressure on yourself - its just too easy to fall into the cycle of looking at all the things you colud do better if only you were better, more prepared, more organised, more inventive.... when really life is pretty busy and complicated and you just need to find the right balance for you guys. and in all likelihood you are doing great.

btw i made that quick bread posted upthread and it is great! mine came out VERY rustic (ie i basically burnt it and it looks like a dead hedgehog) but the kids really like it, result!

and finally - if kids are really tired we let them watch the ipad during dinner or eat in front of the telly, we dont do it every night and we all eat together on the weekends. thats nt for everyone but it works really well for us.

have a great weekend!

For pudding, sliced fresh mango with lime juice squeezed over.

Tortellini soup, onion, garlic, vegetable or chicken stock, bit of parmesan rind, can of tomatoes, crushed, add tortellini, spinach or kale, grated cheese on top.

can add cooked sausage meat if not vegetarian.

Toasted banana bread with soft cheese/butter/nut butter on top.

Date and walnut quick bread (homemade) with cream cheese or butter