Bring back the birch?

silverfox

You're right, it's a valid philosophical question as well as legal one. My perspective is that how we treat criminals should not about who they are, but about who we are. Do we want to be the state that flogs and tortures and kills its citizens or do we want to attempt to punish in a humane but serious way. I would prefer to belong to the latter society, because I think that state sanctioned corporal or capital punishment leads easily to other abuses that aren't enshrined in law but are generally accepted behaviour (torture by police force being a very typical example). I also think it sets the bar of how we all want to live and be treated too low, and desensitises us to death and pain. I'd rather the State led by example and treated its citizens humanely, even though we may struggle to find appropriate punishments and controls. But of course lots of people disagree - so many in fact that if we had a referendum there would be an overwhelming public vote in favour of capital punishment.

• 3 weeks later...

LegalEagle-ish wrote:-

I was beaten by my mum,caned at school and ended up an angry disfunctional adult who hated authority.

Other than that though, it sounds as if life was a barrel of laughs!

Back on topic I remember an interview given by 'mad Frankie Fraser' he explained how, when being flogged (cat o' nine tails) it "knocked all the breff out ya' body".

I'm all for the return of Capital and Corporal punishment. If, as some would say, it means a return to The Middle Ages then so be it. Not until the punishment fits the crime will we have some semblance of order in this country. Sometimes you have to take steps backward in order to make progress.

computedshorty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have been mugged from behind and left bleeding,

> glasses smashed into my eye socket nose gashed

> unable to get up unaided, to attact an OAP person

> walking with a zimmer frame, then runnig away

> shows cowardice, I would not object to having my

> assailent flogged, it would be bodily punishment

> as in ( an eye for an eye ) that is the most

> feared deterrant.

> Having been flogged there would be no further

> cost, as would be involved in inprisonment for

> months.

> I dont wear gold items as I dont own any, I have

> no mobile phone, as for money what little I do

> carry has been spent before getting home.

I'm truly sorry to hear about this outrageous act of cowardice, Shorty. And I'm right with you on the flogging. Do you think that if you'd had a form of deterrent, a pepper spray for example or even the thought that you might be similarly armed, might have saved you this beating? How many of these cowardly scum get away scot free with this type of crime, never caught or caught and given an ASBO or simply cautioned or fined (Panorama aired 9th November 2009 and available to watch on The BBC website). It makes me feel sick to the stomach.