Peckham Rye, Forest Hill Road and environs street audit

earlsam

It appears from the map that you'll be covering Brenchley Gardens as part of the audit. The road surface recently has been getting really bad. Not broken up, but there seems to have been several patches of subsidence which makes a journey (by car or bike) along there a bit like a rollercoaster. On the upside though - no need for (more) speed humps >:D

As if traffic lights are a substitute for speed control! It's only a pedestrian-activated set, so if no one wants to cross...there ain't no traffic lights. So at night it's one open stretch the vast majority of the time. Hence the absurd speeds reached. Even when drivers are starting off from the lights, they still reach concerning speeds before getting to the speed cameras on Peckham Rye.

And you'll notice I didn't say I wanted speed bumps. I'm no great fan of them either. Just something to keep a lid on the speeds - changed street design, no street furniture, more street furniture, camera - I don't mind!

Hi,

I'm gutted I missed this post as I wanted to raise the concern of the traffic lights opposite Brenchly Gardens on Forest Hill Road too.

Is it against the law to beep a car horn after 11pm in a built up area?

According to the Highway Code the car horn is supposed to be used only to alert others to your presence (ie it's a warning device)

I live near the end of Marmora road and the beeping drives me nuts as I really think that 90% of these people are either using this because they are blatantly being impatient with the car in front or which is quite concerning the confusion of the green light for the buses in the filter lane to turn around and not for them to go ahead.

I have also seen near misses with buses turning around due to this confusion.

I'm not sure what the solution would benefit drivers, residents and buses but a reminder like some sort of signage to remind drivers regarding their horn tooting wouldn't go a miss.

I'd like a copy of the report too and any feedback regarding my above rant :)

Thanks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• Fish curry for me, Cochin prawn curry for Nyge, can't remember if it was plain basmati rice or coconut rice - we shared one portion- and a paratha, also shared. We also got free pappadams with three different dips, all delicious. There was so much of it we couldn't eat it all, I had the leftovers cold for lunch today! That was the second time I had the fish (sea bass fillets) because it was so yummy,  last time Nyge had the Dal spinach curry. They have lots of other things, including vegan, lamb and chicken, but neither of us usually eat meat. It says on the back of the flyer that they can make adjustments according to your preferences. And again, it was all delivered really quickly.
    • This is amazing! Looks so good. Well done Dan et al! Glad to have contributed to this lovely history.
    • Hi All Following incredible assistance from The Dulwich Society, a visit to the Southwark Archives and lots local insight from this forum, social media and visitors to ed we have created a visual history of ed's home, 41 North Cross Road. We think it looks great, you can see it on our Instagram and Facebook pages: https://www.instagram.com/p/C6UJsC3MDsS/ https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=947290310732033&set=pcb.947290447398686 There is a much less pretty but more detailed version for anyone interested. Many thanks for all your help. Dan  
    • So you are a ‘member’ 😳whatever that means, but also not. It’s not very clear…. But also totally transparent. Miaow 💅😂 Maybe I will, maybe I won’t 😂 What is interesting about your questions is that they suggest, as usual, that you see everything as a really basic binary opposition (cars vs bike, anti LTN vs pro-council etc). It’s not very nuanced Rocks. I don’t have great love for Southwark council as I suspect you assume. That said, neither do I have a lot of time for the apocalyptic hyperbole of those still upset over a fairly minor change to a road junction in the village, made several years ago, and which actually creates a nice public space for pedestrians and a bit more safety for kids travelling to school by bike. Ah, what the hell, let’s play…as you asked so nicely: The one that took place between May and July 2021 I don’t know much about this. It seems it was reopened though? Apparently they have the agreement of the emergency services this time, (which perhaps does suggests they didn’t consult with them properly the first time round). Of course someone (the mysterious Mr One?) believes the emergency services are being intimidated somehow (possibly by commies) so maybe Southwark still haven’t learnt their lesson? No, I don’t. Although I hear the Mysterious Mr One would like it redesigned to make things clearer. 😂 As for your ‘question 3 sub-points’ I don’t actually agree with their premise (a bit of the old ‘how often do you beat your wife’ framing going on there… slippery 😂) Anyway good luck with the referendum.   
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In