Catholic Secondary Schools in Southwark

Amelie

I agree that your beliefs should come from within when you are older, but when children go to secondary school at 11, their parents are ultimately responsible for making the decision on what they perceive to be the most suitable and best education for them.

Many parents feel very differently about the schools they choose, and choose them for a wide range of reasons. In my case, my daughter had a large say in the secondary school she went to, but the final decision was ours as her parents. Fortunately we agreed with her choice of school so there were no arguments, but there were certain schools I would not have let her go to under any circumstances, and if she had decided that she wanted to follow a particular faith at 11 and go to a faith school, then I'm afraid I wouldn't have agreed to it. When she made the decision about her sixth form education, I felt that she was old enough to make up her own mind and would have given my approval to wherever she had wanted to go.

I must be the only person i know not to have an axe to gring against religion. Bit jealous of the extra choices of schools but thats my bad. Without having had a religious upbringing myself i like the idea of faith, belief etc. Why the bile?

Few rational people would disavow people the right to believe what they choose, so long as that doesn't involve imposing the consequences of that on others who don't share those beliefs.

Clearly the indoctrination of children doesn't meet those criteria.

Not at all old chap, leave the little fellows to make their own mind up when they're old enough to do so.

Besides 'indoctrinate... a secular belief system' is an oxymoron, there isn't a 'secular' doctrine. Secular is defined by not being of a particular religion - or not of a belief system.

Hence you can't 'indoctrinate' people to be secular, you can only have an absence of religion.

Growlybear Wrote:

I would NEVER be

> so offensive as to challenge the religious views

> of anyone,

I was just wondering why we would not want to challenge religious views as we would challenge any other kind of views? I'm not wishing to be argumentative, I am genuinely interested.

toast Wrote:I must be the only person i know not to have an axe to gring against religion. Bit jealous of the extra choices of schools but thats my bad. Without having had a religious upbringing myself i like the idea of faith, belief etc. Why the bile?

A few punters seem to read The God Delusion and become as rabid as the most extreme religious types.

I went to a school run by catholic priests. It was alright. No apparent psychological damage.

• 3 weeks later...

St Michael's Bermondsey (mixed)

St Francesca Cabrini Primary, Forest Hill Rd, is a feeder school to this.

Sacred Heart,Camberwell (mixed)

St Thomas the Apostle, Hollydale Rd, Nunhead (boys)

Notre Dame (E and Castle)girls

girls from the area also go to St Ursula's Greenwich, Coloma Convent in Shirley and St Philomena's, Carshalton.

boys also go to John Fisher, Purley and London Oratory.

mixed: Bonus Pastor, Downham, near Catford

both St Francesca Cabrini and William of York Primaries are feeder schools to John Fisher.