Car break ins - Nutbrook St/ Fenwick Rd

I have been living near Bellenden area for 7 months and have seen at least 15 cars broken into at the Fenwick Road end of Nutbrook street. Its right at the end of the street where there are a couple of empty garages, the side of a church and not many houses facing the road. I even saw a car with baby toys broken into yesterday so thought i better post on here to hopefully discourage people from parking on that end. Some locals obviously know its a spot that is always targetted as there are often parking spaces there, whereas the rest of the road is mostly very full.

Hope this helps!

My window was smashed a fortnight ago (just round the corner from Nutbrook). Policeman reckoned it was because I left the stem of my satnav thingy [that I reluctantly accepted from my brother and now wish I'd resisted] on the windscreen. Real pain in the arse - nothing to nick and half the time I leave it unlocked.

Now I have the headache of trying to replace it - no breakers yards in SE London have one.

Thers a lot of history there! My Grandad started the business there early 1900's. Then when he died my Uncles took over. They were pidgeon fanciers and very well known. In fact their pidgeons were commissioned during the war to carry messages! My cousin (who you saw) has probably worked there since he was in nappies!!!Trouble is he chats too much so you are there for the duration LOL!!!

Thers a lot of history there! My Grandad started the business there early 1900's. Then when he died my Uncles took over. They were pidgeon fanciers and very well known. In fact their pidgeons were commissioned during the war to carry messages! My cousin (who you saw) has probably worked there since he was in nappies!!!Trouble is he chats too much so you are there for the duration LOL!!!

There's a continuous spate of car break-ins all along Fenwick Rd. Both my neighbours have had their vehicles broken into this year and then it happened to me about 2 months ago. Rear quarter light window smashed and yes they seemed to be looking for a sat nav as the stem was still attached, so I'm going to remove it from now on (thanks for the tip).

I reported mine to the Police but they took too long to come and fingerprint etc.. and I needed to get the car secure ASAP. Have found The Lane Safer Neighbourhod Team very apathetic on most matters, say all the right things at the time but fail to take notes and follow anything up in an effective way (sorry that's just my opinion) despite promising the reverse.

Most of the residents seem to be aware of this break-in problem now and try and stay vigilant, look out for each other's vehicles etc, my neighbour caught someone snooping around vehicles in Fenwick Grove a few weeks ago and saw him off before he could do anything. It seems to happen all along the street, not just the Nutbrook end and generally late at night.

How stupid can thieves be? The plastic that was covering my window was removed and the glove compartment searched this morning. Do they honestly think I'd leave anything worth nicking in an open car?

PS: Had good result on EBAY, have replacement window for ?12.50 arriving in next week. Far cheaper than online breakers yards quoted me.

Hi folks - here is the response from The Lane Safer Neighbourhoods Team - see below. Basically they invite anyone concerned about this to the next SNT Ward Panel meeting on Wed 25 Nov 7pm at MacDonald's Rye Lane, beside Peckham Rye station. (meeting room is above the restaurant, no complimentary burgers...!)

If you have any other police/safety issues in The Lane ward this is also the meeting to get to, and/or get yourself onto the mailing list - email address below.

REPLY FROM THE LANE POLICE

Eileen, I am acting sergeant on the ward for the foreseeable future. Please make the forum aware and place a formal invite for the people concerned to our attend our Next ward panel meeting .It is at MacDonald's Rye Lane at 1900 hours on 25th November 2009. The matter can be discussed there and whether Motor vehicle crime in that area needs to be a new priority.

Colin Balman.

A/PS BALMAN 232 MD

LANE SAFER NEIGHBOURHOOD TEAM

Peckham Police Station

177 PECKHAM HIGH STREET

LONDON SE15 5SL

phone: 0207 232 7112

email: [email protected]

Manda Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks Eileen, it's worth another shot I guess.

> Have found The Lane SNT really ineffectual in the

> past, problem isn't going away though, so

> something has to be done.

Hi Manda - this is where the ward panel can be useful as the team are held to account if it is taken as a priority. But for this to work residents have to go to the panel meeting. It is worth it in a case like this so hope you can go. Can you encourage anyone else who has been affected to go?

Hi

My name is Ian Brown and am the Inspector in charge of the SNT cluster, which includes the Lane SNT.

I can confirm that Colin Balman is looking into the car break ins within the area.

I think this forum could be very useful in us (your local police!)finding out about some of the issues that are effecting the local community and to provide a 'you said, we did reply' in a quick format.

Leave you with a question to you regulars (and moderators of course!) Would you like to see a forum for the police? If so I will look into the 'protocols' with the borough commander.

Rest assured Colin and the Lane SNT will be looking into the break ins and I will encourage you to come along to the panel meeting.

Regards

Ian Brown (Inspector) Southwark Police SNT SE Cluster

Hullo Ian

Thanks for popping in.

You could follow the route Station Master Barry has taken see here which has proved very useful to forum users - is that what you had in mind?

I think it would be a great idea. You would probably get more feedback than bods attending panel meetings - we are a lazy lot!

Bear in mind this is a forum for East Dulwich, so as useful as The Lane SNT is for me, it won't cater for the majority - I presume there is an East Dulwich equivalent that could take part instead/as well as.

PGC

PGC

Thanks for the above link for SM Barry, this is the sort of thing I had in mind!

In regards to the rest of the SNT's I cover: The Lane, Peckham Town Centre, Peckham Rye, Nunhead, Livesey and Peckham. If I can sort the politics (I'm confident I can!), I can easily get the Dulwich SNT cluster on side, so you should have a complete cover for the forum.

Keep the messages coming and I'll see what I can do.

Regards

Ian B

Hi Ian ? I have been thinking for a long time it would be good to have our SNTs taking part in this so am glad you have taken it up. See below for a precedent here from one SNT that covers part of SE22, ie South Camberwell. In your cluster, Peckham Rye covers part of SE22 also so you would be following in their footsteps. In relation to PeckhamGateCrasher?s comment re The Lane - I know there are lots of us Forumites who are in SE15 postcode who are as close or closer to Lordship Lane ? the epicenter of East Dulwich - as many in a SE22 postcode (though I know that strays onto risky territory in this Forum?) . My street is on or close to the border of 3 Community Councils, and 4 SNTs, and for common sense we have to be pragmatic about all this.

POLICE POST FROM SEPTEMBER 2009

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,345499,345499#msg-345499

Hello we represent one of the safer neighbourhood teams covering part of the SE22 post code area. We are always here to help with any policing or crime problems you have. We cover Champion Hill, Dog Kennel Hill and Denmark Hill as well as most of the roads in between. You can contact us by emailing [email protected] or calling us on 02087212448. If you are unsure who your local team are and you are not in the areas mentioned above then please follow this link and enter your postcode to find your local team [www.met.police.uk]. To contact police in an emergency please always dial 999 or to report minor crime call 03001231212 or online at [online.met.police.uk]

• 1 year later...

Had a break-in yesterday via my rear vent. Complete mess inside the car, as it looks like they were looking for something specific. Had some coins, couple of phone holders, iPod etc. Nothing has stolen from the car, but need to replace the Glass.

AutoGlass quoted ?230, which is equivalent to compulsory excess of insurance. Need to find something cheaper, any tips other than ebay?

Thanks