Peckham Rye Common - changing facilities & children's provision

VikkiM

This Weds they'll be an open meeting at the cafe on Peckham Rye Common about the improvement (and possible expansion) of facilities on the Common (and possibly also in the Park).

?200K of funding has been secured to build a new One O'Clock Club. Hopefully a further ?200K will be secured in the coming weeks to ensure the best possible facilities are built. Further funding is available for a natural play facility which will include a water play area.

Although funding has not yet been secured for new changing room facilities both on the Common and at Homestall Road these are also being planned.

If you have any thoughts about where these facilities would be best located, ideas of what they might look like, what they should provide and how to keep the development as sympathetic to the surroundings as possible, then attend the meeting on Weds - I'll post the time as soon as I've confirmed it.

I met with the council officers in charge of the project and the local architects last Weds alongside Friends of Peckham Rye Park, the One O'Clock Club and the various sports clubs. There isn't a huge amount to report at this stage except to say get involved this Wednesday and hopefully the initial drawings, expected in about three weeks time, will reflect the meeting last week and all the comments made on Wednesday.

Bit more info on www.peckhamryelabour.blogspot.com and more here (see pages 41 and 42)

I was at the meeting last Weds but got an email from the Parks guy saying that the one this week was being postponed until the drawings were available - probably 3-4 weeks. Not sure if that only related to the 1 O'clock element of the meeting as that was the bit I attended.

Many thanks for posting to let us know what's going on, Vikki.

If possible, I would like to see some funding spent on the children's playground in the Park. The equipment is old and shabby, and the facilities are very limited for the large numbers of families who use the area.

Nunhead Mum - I missed that email but you're right. Meeting will be towards the end of November when some initial drawings will be presented. Probably for the best as it was a little bit difficult to grasp exactly what was up for grabs last week without any outline proposals of drawings presented.

Moos - I will raise that but it seems at the moment that wouldn't be within the proposals that are being drawn up. Though I may be wrong. I'm not saying it doens't need doing though and it does make sense to make sure things like this are mentioned and discussed at the same time.

• 1 month later...

Dear all

For those interested in this development/new facilities I've just blogged about it here (includes some initial layout drawings):

http://peckhamryelabour.blogspot.com/2009/12/peckham-rye-central-area-options.html

These plans were meant to be presented at a meeting but that hasn't happened yet. As soon as I know when a meeting might take place I'll pop the details on here.

Victoria.

• 5 weeks later...
The Peckham Rye Development Plan Consultation Event is taking place TONIGHT 19th Jan, from 6:30 - 8:30pm in the Park Cafe. This will be a drop in event where you can come in any time (between those times) and talk to the architects and the council about the options for both the cafe area of the Common and Homestall Road.