nightmares?

Belle

Does anyone know of/have experience of babies having nightmares? Our little boy (9 months) has generally (touch wood) been quite a good sleeper but in the last month or so has woken at night in a whole new way - not teething/illness (have had those)- but sort of like he's afraid, and is screaming but still seems quite asleep. Sometimes he can be easy to resettle, but other times we have to bring him in with us as he seems genuinely scared. It's quite upsetting. A friend of mine reckoned her baby had 'night terrors' from about 9-18 months - really hoping it won't be that bad- anyone else with this? We have a v low nightlight but maybe something a bit more powerful would help?

It does sound like night terrors - my oldest had them. Not much you can do I'm afraid, but mine stopped having them at around a year old I think. His screams were enough to shatter glass - it was v. scary - especially the first time! A couple of times I don't think mine even woke up too.

Sorry can't be of more help - good luck!

Definately sounds like night terrors. My daughter went through them, truly blood curdling screams (like head stuck in cot or suchlike) causing olympic style dashes to bedroom but as above she wasn't even awake most times. Apart from heart palpitations on my part no ill effects and it passed relatively quickly. Good luck, am sure it will pass soon!

We've had this a couple of times. The only thing that seems to help is to bring him out into the bright light and he usually snaps out of it quite quickly. It seems worse on the days he is overtired at bedtime. Maybe the same for you, and could be improved with a bit earlier bedtime? It is so upsetting seeing them so frightened!

That's really interesting as haven't noticed the link before but on Monday night he was DEF overtired - huge screaming fit at bedtime - his grandparents were here so think he was overexcited. Once he came out of whatever it was - nightmare/terror, whatever - he was wide awake and happy and eventually went back to sleep. Earlier bedtime a good idea - I always hold out against my better judgement because I worry early bedtime = early getting up time...but not necessarily I guess.

Yes, the early bedtime is a bit scary. It generally works well for us. I even have him asleep by 6:15 some nights, usually 6:30 or 6:45. It seems if I put him to sleep after 7:00, he only sleeps until 5 something. But if he is asleep by around 6:30 or so, he will sleep until 6 or so (most days anyway!).

You can only try and cross your fingers!

Hi Belle,

My eldest had night terrors which coincided with her being tired. These began EXACTLY when she started nursery school (no more day time naps), got rid of the dummy (for nursery school), was potty trained (for nursery school) and had a 2 month old sibling that obviously changed a few things in the household. It was all the changes she was going through coupled with the stress of it all and being over tired. We used to have to take her out in the garden and look at the stars and the cold air would wake her up. It was pretty distressing because she used to scream her head off and look straight through me as if I wasn't even there. As things adjusted and she got used to school, sister, etc, they tapered off and eventually stopped (4 months or so). Good luck to you and your little one.

Best,

-C