international baccalaureate

mummali

just wondered if anyone out there has any experience of the IB? I'd love to hear any opinions - from a teachers, student or parents perspective - as my daughter is seriously considering it as an alternative to A Levels and we have to make a decision very soon.

thanks very much

M

My daughter is at St Dunstan's in year 11. They offer IB and A Levels. She has opted for the IB. The school are very balanced and don't push one over another. Although they have been running the programme for four years it does still feel a bit of a big step. I have been able to talk to quite a few VIth formers doing the IB and they all seem to recommend it. I like the way it keeps several subjects going, focuses on intellectual development and has a community, action and service element. Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for your reply - its really good to hear a perspective from someone at the school who is also going for it. have to say I was very impressed with the presentation they gave last week and my daughter does seem smitten with everything she has seen and heard. It looks as though it can provide the kind of education that I would have liked myself and is certainly one that is a great preparation for university. I wonder how easy it is for a newcomer to adjust to the school and to make friends and so on?

Moving schools is a big step, small things can make it a positive or negative experience. My daughter joined St Dunstan's in year 7 (seems a long time ago). She didn't know anyone else there and had come from an all girl's school. I remember giving her a pep talk about "it might feel like everyone knows each other / has their friendship groups" that sort of thing. It wasn't needed, everyone mixed in very quickly. I think quite a few join in the VIth form and the majority of newcomers are girls so she is very unlikely to be on her own. New students do also seem to get chosen for netball/prefects etc as well. Again, hope this helps.

Although I chose A levels over IB, a lot of my friends moved to Dartford Boys Grammar to do IB and are really enjoying themselves. The main reason for me not considering it was that you have to do a big range of subjects and I wanted to focus on languages, History and Music - the thought of having to do Maths and a Science didn't appeal to me.

However, if you're an all-rounder and want to keep your options open then it's a really good choice. It's also good for people who do a lot of extra curricular activities because, like Duke of Edinburgh, IB requires you to have a sport, skill and service.

I would second what Anapau has just said. I have a daughter in year 11 and so obviously thinking of A level options and we have talked about the IB.

We concluded that it would suit best the ' All Rounders'. My daughter also likes languages ( which she seems to have a natural flare for), but also quite likes music, history and RE.

She really doesn't care much for science and isn't particularly sporty and so would suit A levels where she can study the subjects she enjoys. I'm sure most of us had at least one subject at school where we perhaps under-performed because we had no interest in the subject.

As far as I'm aware the IB is only available at Independent Schools, but I could be wrong.

The IB is available at the newly opened Kingsdale 6th form in Dulwich. Don't waste your money!!! Kingsdale is a state, foundations school and its own admissions authority. The 6th form is selective. Go visit it - this is a school that's always got time to show parents around. One of the reasons I'm sending my kids there is because of the IB.

Eliza