Any PTA Treasurers filled in FATCA form

nunheadmum

Forgive a rather technical question but hoping some of the other school PTA's parents will be on this board.

We've received a FATCA questionnaire form from HSBC for our piddling PTA account - I guess it's just a technical requirement in the current climate. But as it's all in US Tax-speak - and not in any way written with small charities in mind - I'm struggling to work out exactly what category we should tick. Equally I don't want to tick the wrong one and end up causing ourselves headaches. HSBC state on the paperwork that you should consult a tax advisor with questions as they don't give advice on this.

I suspect HSBC probably have sent these out to all their account holders so wondering if any of the other PTA's out there have worked out what we are? Or any in financial services who could assist?

I thought FATCA applied to US nationals only? I.e HSBC only have to report information on accounts held by US nationals. Also I thought that some types of accounts were excluded as they were judged to be low risk, so even if you are a U.S. national then it may be the case that this sort of account need not be reported on. HSBC ought to be able to advise.

Unfortunately, under US tax law, US nationals need to declare if they are signatories on any joint or organisational accounts. So yes, strictly speaking, they need to send these out to all organisation and club accounts. I would just ignore it frankly or send it back and say there are no US nationals on your bank account.