Question for all you computer geeks

Ladygooner

Help Geeks please. An advert keeps rearing it head on my laptop offering to get me a flat belly in three weeks. How do I get rid of it and others like it?

I log on to the net using AOL 9.1 but have used Internet Explorer's security section to isolate this ad but to no effect.This method seems to have stopped other adverts though not all. Can I use Norton Internet Security to catch it or what would you suggest? Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...
Well you geeks weren't much help with my last problem but perhaps you will be able to offer advice with this one! Netbooks. I'm thinking of buying a Samsung N210 for my soon to be attending lectures type of son. Am I right in thinking that given word and excel might be basic requirements and they don't come with the packages (or do they?) how does one install the disks I have on a netbook as it doesn't have a CD drive? Help!

I hope the geek massif acknowledge your mea culpa and reply

My knowledge of netbooks is negligible alas. My gut feeling is that if Word and and Excel are needed in and of themselves (as opposed to SOME rudimentary WP and spreadsheet requirements) then they may be better of with a (not much more expensive) chheap laptop

Thanks Sean though the point of the Netbook would be it's size, less bulky than a laptop. The reviews I've read just don't seem to tell you what's included apart from stating a lot of unnecessary software for those who just wish to surf or send emails.

I used spreadsheets as a word for exactly the reason Hal mentions - there are alternatives to excel (cheap-cum-free and good ones too) - but if the reason for netbook is portability then I would argue long and hard for a few extra ounces as a necessary overhead

netbooks have purpose in life but beyond portable web browsing I'm not convinced what that might be. A decent, cheap and relatively light laptop is much more useful to my mind.

Even if one was to go down a netbook with cheap software route, there are issues of (genuine) compatibility to think of. But it depends on the needs of the user. I'm no Microsoft apologist by any means and if I could get away with not using a Windows laptop I would - but work requirements mean I do need one. It's not the end of the world by any means

Well the user in this instance has the option of having a (mains connected) laptop in his room but the need for something else is that the laptop is quite old and it's battery life is next to nothing. I guess the battery could be replaced with a new one. Apart from that the laptop is fine though possibly hasn't a great deal of memory and is quite heavy. Given your 2nd paragraph Sean I wonder what the point is myself as it's not its intended purpose? It's supposed to replace what once was pen and paper I guess. Any ideas on light inexpensive laptops?

The down side with applications such as Open Office is the compatability from one application to another (Open office's word V Microsoft Word can result in the layout and formats changing quite dramatically when sharing in other places).

Although this has improved over the years too!

Are you sure you are not able to download/authenticate a copy you already have from microsoft?

Don't buy a netbook. Yes they are small, but underpowered for modern use, and the screens are too small for "work" type stuff (word processing, spreadsheets, powerpoint, etc). Buy a proper, basic laptop.

PCs don't come with word or Excel, unless you pay extra for it. I would start with openoffice, with a view to upgrading later if he needs to be able to load the files onto college PCs (without having to fix all the formatting).

Is this meant to be used in lecture theatres for taking notes?

If it's meant to be used to compose all his course work whether in dorm, at the library, at friends' or at home then you'll want something with at least an 11" screen and most likely a resolution at or above 1280x768 so that he's not driven nuts constantly scrolling through documents or diagrams he's reading or writing.

What subject will he be studying? If it's something that involves high computation like programming, scientific modelling, statistical analysis, graphical work then you'll be needing a decent fully-grown laptop. A netbook with Atom processor is going to be too sluggish.

As already said get a laptop with at least a dual core celeron processor (or the current latest are i3, i5 and i7 quad cores). You'll be hoping this will last him a good 3 yrs so there's no point scrimping at the start. If it doesn't have to be ultra-portable then get something with a 15+" screen. You'll need to shop around based on the battery life you need for the usage profile he will have. I have an HP Pavilion dv3 with around 5hrs battery and bought for c?500 in sale.

Happy to chat on phone or at a bar if you want more advice.

Short of it is "if he's going to be doing more than distracting himself during lectures don't get a netbook"

The Samsung N210 appears to come with Windows 7 Starter installed - a cut down version of the Windows 7 Operating System - and a 60-day trial version of McAfee Anti-Virus. Additional software is also bundled with it:

anyPC

hyperspace

easy resolution manager

chargable usb

easy network manager

skydrive windows live

samsung update plus

No word processor or spreadsheet applications are included.

Note: AnyPC is a remote PC access application that enables a secure one-click connection to a home or office PC - so one could transfer Microsoft Word and Spreadsheet install files across via that link (although one would need to know what one is doing).

Also the N210 includes LAN, Firewire and a 3-in-1 memory reader - each being an alternative route for transferring files across.

Or, one could just download and install the free and excellent Open Office suite - as suggested above.