Cat killed by dog on Oakhurst Grove - 22 November (Lounged)

Meredith

ALL dogs wether they like cats or not should be ON the lead in the street, it is dangerous if they are not and it amazes me at the amount of dog owners that walk merrily along the roads with lead in hand and dog walking freely :'( Not fair on the dogs and others. If people kept their dogs on leads, none of this would happen, except the mindless S**TS who set there dogs on things (6) Poor cat :'(

A dog that attacks a cat is not as likely to attack a human- the two thing are completely separate and one cannot be used as a measure of the other. However, a dog off lead is a danger because many dogs, even extremely well behaved ones, can react very badly to a dog offlead coming up to it when they are on a lead. If a fight ensues, as it might, then most owners will try to intervene to save their dog or to try to stop the fight, at this juncture they run a high risk of being bitten,even by their own dog- therein is the indirect, but very real danger of having dogs offlead in the streets. You can bet your bottom dollar that most offlead dogs are uneutered, bull breed males; the type of dog most likely to engage in a fight with another dog.

I don't care how well trained and obedient you think your dog is, never ever walk it off lead on the path or street because you are arrogantly putting at risk not only other dogs but people and children too and, of course, other animals, like cats, that the dog sees as prey.

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> I don't care how well trained and obedient you

> think your dog is, never ever walk it off lead on

> the path or street because you are arrogantly

> putting at risk not only other dogs but people and

> children too and, of course, other animals, like

> cats, that the dog sees as prey.

first mate

lets not fall of the same page. as a cat as been slaughterd by a dog with a small minded stupid owner. i really dont want to start a new topic about breeds and there genetics. i have 3 diff breeds with diff genetics. they are well behaved dogs maybe im lucky but my dogs are controlled and not a bother in the park with other aniaml life. if they are a bother im there to stop the problem straight away before harm is done then i can address and solve that problem there and then. what ever the breed im the pack leader. i no we all ave our diff veiws but i wish dog owners wood exercise and correct their dogs in the right way. a working dog and a trained dog is a happy dog. its a simple thing that could have safed a cats life.

dulwichdogman,

I think we are making the same point from slightly different angles.

Undoubtedly good dog ownership involves proper care and husbandry, including, but not limited to: diet, exercise and training. Nonetheless, one might have an ostensibly obedient dog, as many Staffords are for instance, but in the presence of small furry animals they are triggered to chase and kill by their innate prey drive. As you know some breeds, and then individuals within that breed, will exhibit a greater tendency for prey drive. Some breeds of dog were developed over centuries for the purpose of hunting or the gaming pit. They were bred to work on their own initiative without human direction. As you know, it is hard to train a dog with high prey drive out of chasing prey; not impossible but difficult to do and not a job for someone who knows little about dog behaviour. I do not believe that a Stafford is a good beginners dog. They are obedient, for a terrier, and mainly people friendly but this can give the illusion of control. As we know, once they go they really go, whether killing cats or fighting other dogs.

The single thing that would have saved the cat's life would have been for the dog to have a knowledgable and responsible owner, thus the dog would never ever have been off lead in a public place. So you see, we agree. In addition I would like to see an instant and very heavy fine for the owner of any dog offlead in a public place that is not a park.

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> dulwichdogman,

>

> So you see, we agree. In addition I would

> like to see an instant and very heavy fine for the

> owner of any dog offlead in a public place that is

> not a park.

I've been reading this thread with interest as someone with a deep childhood fear of dogs and what is now an adult respect or shall we say wariness.

Why's it OK to scare me in a park?

ruffers,

I'm sure that no person on this forum is suggesting that it is okay to scare you, but some fears are, as other posters have suggested, more phobias. It must be very hard for you but it is a fact that only a tiny, tiny minority of dogs ever attack people and most of those attacks happen within the home. You are much more at risk of injury from other people and from cars, for instance, than a dog.

The biggest risk from dogs is to other dogs and then to humans, if they become involved, in trying to break up a dog fight. Even then it would not mean that the dog is human aggressive.

Dogs need somewhere to run and parks are a good place. Most people make sure that their people friendly dogs do not go jumping all over strangers. I do understand that if you are scared of dogs then you really don't want them near you and it is up to owners to ensure that their dogs are properly trained. Nonetheless, I would fight any attempt to introduce dog control orders into public parks, making sure everyone keeps their dogs on lead all of the time. Dogs can play a valuable part in the lives of people, the elderly for example. They have been part of our lives for centuries and for the law abiding majority they are not a problem.

Dogs have played a huge positive part in human life for centuries. They were (and still are) used to help man hunt for food, they hear for the deaf, see for the blind, provide life changing assistance for no end of human disabiities, assist the police, forces and customs in their work whether it is sniffing drugs, explosives, mines, catching criminals, hunting for missing people etc then there are the avalanche dogs which are a victims second best chance of survival (second after wearing a tranceiver and their party all wearing tranceivers and being able to dig them out). There are many "occupations" that the dog assists man with. Even non working dogs give a lot to their owners.

The anti dog threads on this forum really annoy and upset me, as has been mentioned the chances of being attacked by a dog are extremely small - It is not in the inbuilt "nature" of a dog to attack humans. Your far more likely to be attacked by fellow man, hit by a car etc. The vast majority of dogs love people. Sadly a very small minority of people misuse and mistreat dogs which leads to the awful stories that come up in the press every so often.

I am saddened by what happened to that poor cat, my sympathies are with the owner. The dog owner should never have allowed that to happen. It is a reflection on the owner not the dog. Incidentally the dog is no more likely to attack a human because it attacked a cat! Unfortunately that is nature, just like cats catching (and killing) birds, rabbits, mice etc is nature.

I appreciate that people do have phobias against all end of things, that shouldn't be dismissed, however, although others should be sympathetic to these fears, it really isn't for society to remove anything that could scare another!

Dogs being banned from being off the lead is not the answer, it is unfair, draconian and would lead to a huge amount of unhappy dogs with excess energy.

That said, I find this thread offensive. What happened was terrible I 100% agree. The witch hunt that followed and that poor innocent chap being hounded was disgusting! What I really found hard to beleive was that when the poor guy came on to clear his name he was ridiculed for his spelling \ grammar! Certain people should be ashamed of themselves!

I don't think it is in a dogs nature to attack & tear apart cats. This very, very rarely happens & not just because dogs are on leads. The majority of dogs would not do this.

This particular dog is a problem.

I don't think it needs to be put down. I think it needs to be disciplined & the owner given a huge fat fine, as all irresponsible owners who allow dogs offlead should be given.

Hmm... I wonder what the owner of the cat did next... My guess is probably nothing...

• 2 weeks later...
My dog has just been viciously attacked by a brown staffordshire bull terrier dog in Peckham Rye Park. My dog and this dog were at first playing off the lead. When another playful dog came running over,the staff turned on my dog, out to kill it. The owner looked like he was stoned. Another dog owner pulled my dog out of this dogs jaws twice. If this man had not intervened my dog would be dead no doubt about it. This dog was exceptionally unpredictable and vicious.

It was either a staff or pit bull/ dark brown colour. Mine is a yorkshire terrier. Ive reported it to the non urgent police thingy. Says they will be intouch within 72 hours. ?200 Lomax vets, deep puncture marks so needed stitches. So very thankful to the owner of the other dog who intervened and pulled my dog free twice. Blimey, if he hadnt have done that little Timmy would be no more :( The owner of the dangerous dog never even said sorry, he started stroking his dog after!! Bizarre behaviour. He stunk of fags and I suspect was stoned, given his lack of urgency or care . Am drinking Champagne now, so grateful Timmy's still here to bark another day :)-D

That is terrible daizie I'm glad your dog is ok but it must have been a very traumatic experience for you too. As you say, it was a good thing there was someone about who was prepared to risk his own safety to save your dog. Whoever he is he deserves a medal. I'm disgusted with the attitude of the owner of the dog that attacked your dog, these people should be banned from keeping dogs. Lets hope the police get to him before the dog attacks again.

Yes, im reasonable, i accept that accidents can happen and dogs can 'turn' when they havn't before. I think the owners response say's it all really. I suspect ( though im probably giving him credit) that to say 'sorry' means acceptance of blame which then should lead to an offer of paying the vet bill. Thats why i reckon he didnt say a thing. Didnt want to be asked to cough up! Typical low life .