Legalise pepper spray as a means of self defense?

Y'man

My position is based on countrywide data, not simply the Met. What, exactly, does 'your own internal state' mean? You're trying very hard to shout me down without actually admitting to your personal opinion, see first post.

I'm not trying to shout anyone down, I just want to be clear about what your question is before giving my opinion.

In you OP you say you want people's opinion on legalisation of pepper spray, are you saying that legislation is being reviewed in parliament? If so provide a link, I can't find any record.

You state the problem as being a rise in 'street violence' and offer a solution. I would like to know why you think there has been such a rise, if you have evidence, show it. I posted Southwark data because this is a forum which relates to East Dulwich, if you have 'countrywide' statistical source and are referring to a national problem, then post a link.

Or are you saying that there has actually been no rise in the incidence of street crime but you would like citizens to have the right to carry pepper spray anyway? If so, count me out.

Should you ever, and I hope you never are, unfortunate enough to have a pilsner bottle smashed in your face for having the misfortune and, dare I say it, damned audacity to unwittingly share the same roadside footpath as a drunken psychopath, maybe you'll change your mind. Until such times, I'll count your vote as a no. A bit long winded but thanks anyway.

Fortunately that's unlikely ever to happen to me as drunken psychopaths are very few and far between. A more genuine threat to my safety and liberty is the election of an unpleasant government whose legislature, informed by reactionary zealots, bring to law a bunch of draconian civil order acts. I've read enough European history to know where that can lead.

• 2 weeks later...

i agree with milo on this. most crime are decreasing nationally and have been for years. the papers unfortunately terrify the public over a few cases. the fear of crime is what is increasing, not crime rates themselves.

what we must remember is if we arm ourselves then bob the burglar knows in order to get away with something he too needs to be armed. this is why our police officers are not armed.

a good question brought up by y'man however.