What double buggy/pushchair to get for toddler and newborn

Would those with experience mind sharing their opinions about double buggies/pushchairs for a baby and a toddler (age difference will be 23 months)?

I like the Jane Powertwin tandem as it seems to be the pushchair with the best individual seats for both children but it won't fit in our boot. We'd have to get an additional compact buggy for when we travel by car which might be a bit crazy.

For general direction, here are some questions, but all and any input is welcome.

1. Which pushchair do you have, would you recommend it and why?

2. Is it true that...

a. ...side-by-side buggies aren't great for different ages because they'll pull towards the heavier child?

b. ...side-by-side buggies mean that the toddler will bother the newborn? (my daughter doesn't like the single Maclaren so I fear the double one will be worse).

c. ...the Phil&Teds is great for the newborn phase but sucks once the youngest child also wants to see the world, as the bottom seat (which to me looks a bit like a shelf) kind of sucks? I heard a bigger toddler may find the bottom seat "cool" but will a 2.5 year old?

d. ...tandem buggies other than the Phil&Teds are impossibly heavy and a massive pain to get into the boot of your car?

e. ...tandem buggies are very hard to maneuver?

Again, all other advice and recommendations are welcome too!

Thanks in advance

OK, here goes...

1. Which pushchair do you have, would you recommend it and why?

Phil 'n' Teds Vibe - yes I'd recommend it (as a double buggy, not as a single). Lighter than the original P&T's, quite easy to push, compact enough to fit in most shops/through doors, serves it's purpose well.

2. Is it true that...

a. ...side-by-side buggies aren't great for different ages because they'll pull towards the heavier child?

I think it depends on the buggy. I tried a double MacLaren and it was hopeless, really hard to push even when my two were newborn and 17 months respectively (and my oldest was small). I then had a Out & About side by side for a while which was much easier to push (lighter, easier to steer) but I didn't like it due to the width (we bought it solely as a pram to keep in the car, as it folded really flat).

b. ...side-by-side buggies mean that the toddler will bother the newborn? (my daughter doesn't like the single Maclaren so I fear the double one will be worse).

I never had a problem, but my son didn't really notice his sister was there - both in the buggy and life in general! Until of course she started crawling/standing up/walking, at which point he suddenly became VERY aware of her. I dread to think what would happen if I put them side by side in a buggy now, prime fighting opportunity! Hard to answer really as all toddlers are different, some won't leave a newborn alone, others ignore them.

c. ...the Phil&Teds is great for the newborn phase but sucks once the youngest child also wants to see the world, as the bottom seat (which to me looks a bit like a shelf) kind of sucks? I heard a bigger toddler may find the bottom seat "cool" but will a 2.5 year old?

This was my big concern too. Technically once you move to using the bottom seat you're supposed to have the smaller child down there, and the larger one on top, but we do it the other way round. My son is more than happy to sit at the bottom (nearly 3), he likes getting in and out of the buggy a lot now and seems to understand that it's only fair for his sister to have the front seat. They still get a pretty good view from the lower seat, it's not as bad as you think. The Vibe has more space than the original versions.

d. ...tandem buggies other than the Phil&Teds are impossibly heavy and a massive pain to get into the boot of your car?

e. ...tandem buggies are very hard to maneuver?

I've never used one, but from what I've heard this is true.

Good luck! There's no perfect solution to the double buggy dilemma - I can't wait for the day that I don't need to use one anymore!

hi I use a Jane powertwin tandem buggy and i LOVE it! I use it for toddlers (plus a buggy board at the back) but i think you can get a version that will take a baby carrier in one of the seats. It is quite big when collapsed down, but luckily i have a big boot in my car! hx

nancysmum Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> hi I use a Jane powertwin tandem buggy and i LOVE

> it! I use it for toddlers (plus a buggy board at

> the back) but i think you can get a version that

> will take a baby carrier in one of the seats. It

> is quite big when collapsed down, but luckily i

> have a big boot in my car! hx

Do you have an estate? We have a pretty big car with a pretty big boot too but according to the specifications of the Jane, it's higher than 45cm when folded (which is the height of our boot), even with the wheels taken off...

nancysmum Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i have a people carrier (toyota estima emina). and

> it fits. you're welcome to come over and try

> fitting mine in your car if you like before you

> commit to buying anyting. let me know if you

> would like to hx

If you're sure you wouldn't mind, I'd love to come over and try it one day. I'm very flexible with times/days - will pm you. Thanks so much nancysmum!

Pickle, thanks for your reply too, it gives a lot to think about - in fact I'm thinking that if the Jane doesn't fit in our boot, a high quality side by side buggy (with comfortable seats and nice wheels) could be an option although that doesn't take care of the width. And Pickle/Mellors, I think I should read some reviews on the P&T Vibe as what I've read seems to be about older versions.

P&T owners - do any of your babies/toddlers mind not being able to sit fully upright?

I just read in a review that "In the most upright position, the seat still has a reasonable recline. As the base of the seat slopes backwards, a child is not able to sit upright independently of the seat back."

Our daughter is used to a harness that allows her to sit upright and even lean forward independently of the backrest and she gets pretty cranky even in a Maclaren... :-S

I really like the relative compactness of the P&T but would have a few fears/prejudices to overcome.

My two don't seem to mind the slope of the seats (and older boy switched from a Bugaboo where he was sitting fully upright). You can use a bar across the front of the top seat which older kids can grab hold of to pull themselves forward, but we don't use ours.

Re the sitting up - I can't say I've ever thought about it. The big one is generally in the bottom seat so he can get in and out, and the little 'un is in the top now (15 months) so she gets a good view. No complaints from them. Now they are a bit older I use a single Maclaren and buggy board most of the time though.

Re the side by side - don't they fight? I have both of mine side by side in the trailer on the bike, and they are b*ggers for sticking their elbows in each others faces and generally annoying each other.

We had an old style P&T for my two (23 months apart) and we loved it. We alternated who got the back seat, but neither child minded being back there (much easier to climb in and out and they got to root through the shopping.) I am glad to see they've now put mudguards on the rear wheels though, they were far too tempting for little hands to grab on the old one. And by the time your younger child is 2 1/2 I'd be very surpised if you needed the second seat for anything other than transporting bikes/scooters/picnics to the park. We'd certainly sold the P&T on well before then and had reverted back to the maclaren for the youngest and walking/scooting/cycling for the elder.

And I'm proud to say that, without even noticing, sometime in the last few months we have become completely buggy-free! Yay!