Watsons General Telegraph and Inside 72

TonyQuinn

Yep, the outside space is a great selling point for that place. Looks like they're building some kind of outside bar too?

Food... if I'm going to a pub in the evening, it will be primarily to drink. If I order food it's purely to serve a function, and I don't want to pay much over a tenner for it!

I believe the average price of a pub main course has been over a tenner for some time now, Jez - that's nationwide, not London.

It'll be a tricky one with the food - it's a difficult juggling act as to where it's aiming for, whether it hits and whether it can be sustained. I remember when The Herne first appeared, the food was really quite good, but the initial enthusiasm and care faded and it went downhill rapidly and - now - it's neither a place you really want to eat or drink. Personally I'd usually rather pay more and have something nicer, regardless of where I'm having it.

I suspect this Watsons place will be a venue of two halves: weekdays and early evenings - and then a difference sort of beast at weekends and later hours.

*Bob* Wrote:

Personally I'd

> usually rather pay more and have something nicer,

> regardless of where I'm having it.

>

Couldn't agree more. I don't see why we should compromise on food. Its a big factor in what makes a good pub/bar nowadays. I'd like it to be better than I can do at home preferably and I don't mind paying for that. And yes the Herne was once very good, went off that place a long time ago and suspect it will be hit very hard by WGT success.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I love a good slap-up restaurant excursion from

> time to time as much as anyone else, but the rise

> of the quality 'casual eat' is a great thing.

>

Quite often a restaurant is too much of a commitment. Like taking LSD.

Cant see the connection. LSD lasts for 6-8 hours..

With a meal I'm in and out in 45mins... with the exception of Curry Club lasting a couple of hours

but that is generally waiting time..

Foxy

*Bob* Wrote:

Personally I'd

> usually rather pay more and have something nicer,

> regardless of where I'm having it.

>

Same here, within reason.

Paying East Dulwich type prices for a mediocre meal always really annoys me.

Looking forward to trying this place, haven't been yet. It always felt cold and empty to me in its previous incarnation, so any improvement has to be good :)

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Cant see the connection. LSD lasts for 6-8

> hours..

> With a meal I'm in and out in 45mins... with the

> exception of Curry Club lasting a couple of hours

> but that is generally waiting time..

>

> Foxy

Curry Club or acid? Either way, it's a trip, man... ;-)

Jah Lush Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Jah Lush Wrote:

> > we could happily suck

> > > on our smokes to our hearts content.

> > >

> >

> >

> > :(

>

> Yeah, I'm back on the fags. I smoke therefore I

> am.

Oh dear. Oh well, enjoy then :)

ETA: Are you sure it's not I am, therefore I smoke? :))

ETA: Oooops sorry admin, forgot I wasn't in the lounge.