Is it wrong not to tip?

rainbow

I believe that tips can no longer be added to wages to make them up to minimum wage; which is good, but it's not always clear where service charges go - if you want to reward a particular waiter for good service then a cash tip to them is the most effective way of ensuring that they get your reward - however 'good' establishments sometimes operate a 'tronc' system - where all tips are pooled and then reallocated across all the staff, not just the ones you see - if your overall experience has been good and you want to reward it then this is a good system, as people like commis chefs and washers up also get a slice - you can always ask your waiter what happens to tips or service charges.

I don't, any longer, always provide tips on a simple %age basis - particularly where a lot of wine has been drunk - the mark-up on wine (200-300% minimum, more often 500%) means that this can, with a big party, total half the meal cost, without necessarily entailing much better service.

And if your service has been poor or indifferent then don't give a tip, or refuse to pay the service charge element (that's your right) - tips/ service aren't like tax in the UK - they are voluntary.

No lie but I find services are really poor nowaday (not saying all). When I was in the catering business two third of our wages are from tips. I do wonder how the wage system work nowaday? Quite often I see 3 staffs onthe floor struggling to serve 5 tables