Odd behaviour in GG playground

I've ummed and arred about posting this, but ultimately decided I should.

On Friday afternoon I was in Goose Green playground with my children and some friends. There was a single man in his 20s/30s sitting on the bench next to the climbing frames and tunnels (so pointedly right into the play equipment) he had no children with him, I'm absolutely certain on this,and was drinking beer. He kept repositioning himself so, it felt to me, he could watch a specific group of kids play. He then moved to another bench (leaving glass beer bottle on ground) and had a cigarette. Still in boundaries of kids play area.

At it's most innocent, his behaviour was just a bit inappropriate. Maybe he was on his lunch break and wanted to relax? But there are plenty of benches (that were free) outside the perimeters of the kids play area.

We felt so uncomfortable we left (as did he) and he moved directly to a bench in the ceramics cafe which again was full of kids. He didn't buy anything and had gone five minutes later.

I dont feel I should post a description as it may simply have been a naive and innocent thing to do. But the situation just reminded me I should be aware and, it somehow felt worth posting here.

I agree that his presence could have been quite innocent - just wanting to relax and enjoy kids at play.

At the same time it was definitely wrong to be smoking and drinking in the playground and anyone doing this should be made aware of how inappropriate these acts are within the confines of a kid's playground.

Funnily enough, there was a discussion here about 18 months ago about the appropriateness of parents drinking at the school gates....

I think we need to be careful but vigilant here - I remember a governor at a Southwark school telling me a tale about parents calling the police about a man standing outside the school looking angry. The police duly turned up and it was discovered that the person was actually living in the vicinity of the school, had a garden full of rubbish from the children dropping litter, and he was observing who was doing it when. His (numerous) complaints to the school had gone unheard. The immediate reaction of course, would have been to string him up from the nearest lamppost, but I dare say had he been asked by one of the lynchmob, he may well have told them what the issue was, before the police had been called.

Now, that's not to say that one should not be vigilant and observe individuals, but a friendly word and enquiry will either explain the situation (or scare the person off!). We have a tendency to read the worst possible outcome, especially when children are concerned - it's probably only natural.

To the original poster,

were there any teachers around? I would of have a quiet discreet word with them, as a parent you have a right to enquire about strange behaviour in your childs school setting.

This to me seems absolutely innapropriate, especially the drinking alcohol.

I used to go to goose green 20 years ago when it was called Grove Vale, im 30 now and I know there have been many changes in the school but things like this although may seem harmless, if not reported could lead on to something more sinister. Im suprised he wasnt approached by any of the school staff!