Leaving children at home alone

gudi

Hi, BBC London TV News are looking to speak to parents about what age it's appropriate to leave your children at home on their own. It's after the Met revealed they've arrested 126 people for neglect in the last year. Although legally - there is no minimum age - parents can be prosecuted if their kids are deemed at risk. What do you think and will you talk to us on camera today? Thanks. 0207 765 0920 Gudrun Lawyer

I was left at home from age 10. I would come home after school (which was across the road from my house). I had a key and was there in the afternoon by myself until my mom was done with work. This was similar to my friends at the time living in the suburbs in the US.

It seems like nowadays that would be considered young but it was perfectly fine for me.

What age were the kids whose parents were arrested? Were the children extra vulnerable in some way?

Thanks for replying.

I'm not sure of the background of those arrested - we were exploring whether we're too worried to leave kids alone in recent times, or whether parents would prefer clearer guidance/legislation - or does it depend on each child?

I've been looking for people who'd be interested in being on air - but our reporter has headed to Bromley now! If you want to see the end result -- it'll be on BBC London News, BBC One tonight at 6.30pm

LondonMix Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Personally, I think it surely depends on the child and the circumstances.

I want to agree, and I do sort of agree.

BUT

I think it would be better if there was just a named age in law and everyone knew where they stood. In these days of scapegoating and finger pointing, grey areas are never good when it comes to child safeguarding. 13 would seem a sensible starting point to me unless the child has additional needs.

Below 10, absolutely not!

I think the cut off as a minimum should be 10! By the time you are 11 you'll be in secondary school, presumably making your own way to and from school etc. If you've never even been trusted to be home alone before that point, I think you won't be at all prepared for the responsibility.

I would cycle to middle school on my own at 11 and would hang out outside of my house with my friends after school etc by that age (mostly in the park). The idea of having never been left alone before that age seems crazy but I know once I have kids that age, they'll inevitably seem younger to me than I remember myself at the same point in life.

I should add-- I wasn't even remotely unusual in this respect among my peers. Granted I lived in a very safe area but virtually all of the UK is as safe (possibly safer) than suburban America...

ETA: By the time I was 14 I was babysitting for other people's kids for extra pocket money. I also had summer jobs I had to commute to at that age.

Yeah like LM I was frequently 'in command' in the house by 9 or 10. That included the odd evening out by my parents for (say) birthdays, weddings, NY eve. During these nights I was allowed mates over to stay (whose parents always assumed my parents were actually home).

By 13 I was spending 3-6 days with house to myself while my Dad took the trawler down to the Bay of Biscay and back to get the catch in. never thought owt of it.

However that's in the past and not necessarily applicable to nowadays, where IMO kids are not as exposed to 'the world' as I and my peers were years ago.

To apply a broad brush to everyone is naive, but i see the need to try and do so, so parents have a steer.

In reality it's so dependent on your personal circumstances, how long for, who the child is, confidence of child, behavioural history, how secure house is, whether you've a fire on, whether you've left your crack pipe out and if the kid will smoke your stash. So many things to consider.

Personally I pop over to corner shop regularly even if the 8yr old is home. Have popped next door to party for 2hrs whilst kids watch a film, but they have access to next door through garden and can phone me and have front door key to come knock. But a whole night / several nights, no way.

Yes, any guidelines would surely require time guidelines as well.

When I was 10, my parents were leaving me alone for hours not days. I wasn't expected to cook for myself or anything like that.

I think common sense should rule. I doubt that authorities are arresting parents for popping out for a pint of milk.

Unless the cases in question really suggest some of the judgements were on the line of what most people consider within the realm of reasonable- creating a law seems like overkill.

But we are not talking about when we were 10, we are talking about 2016, when everyone is looking to blame everyone for everything, that is the context I was thinking in.

And I dunno, travelling to secondary school on your own was no big deal to me. Being home alone somehow seems a bigger responsibility in my mind.

But certainly if a teen isn't trusted to be home alone by 14, something is wrong there. I was a full on wayward teen at that age. Happy days.