Dangerous dog on Peckham Rye

emilydrab

bonniebird wrote:- Why should the good responsible dog owners and their dogs be punished??!!

It seems that this might be the case if the safety of individuals is at risk, the sueing laws can lead councils into debt if there are any claims.

Why does 'health and safety' become invisible where dog attacks are concerned. I know this was created for work ethics but dog walkers are working in this environment.

Emily - hope Woody is still doing well and that the SNT continue to work on your case.

This is just a quick update from Peckham Rye and Nunhead Community Council last night where there was an update from The Lane's SNT. Lane ward doesn't cover much of the Common but the team's work should hopefully reflect what's going on nearby.

They reported that in recent months there had been a sustained effort to crack down on dangerous dogs and that this was as a result of local residents telling them this is a big concern. In the last three months seven section 1 dogs have been seized and four people have been taken to court and found guilty (I'm afraid I don't have exact details but presume this is for offences under the Dangerous Dogs Act).

I asked whether the particular focus on cracking down on dangerous dogs and their owners would continue and the reply was that as long as residents keep reporting problems and keep indicating that this is a priority the local teams will keep up their efforts.

There was a Peckham Rye SNT drop-in meeting last night (I don't know if anyone was there?) and there is a further one on 17 March from 7.00pm until 9.00pm at Harris Girls or you can phone the team anytime on 020 8721 2443 or 07920 233915. And if dangerous dogs aren't your priority, all the more reason to get in touch to tell them what is.

Victoria.

Peckham Rye Labour

Sickening!! If you know your dog is aggressive to other dogs or people, why on earth would you EVER! allow it to run free in a public place without a muzzle or a long lead and due care and attention to those around you.

To me it's completely beyond comprehension, few things are as traumatic as watching/being involved in a dog fight in any way, both for the dog and the owner.

This guy should be prosecuted, no question, whether it be the 2nd, or the 100th time?!! Probably one of the B"?$!rds who uses the pet as a weapon instead of a family pet.

Really sorry to hear about your dog, i hope he recovers fully!!

B.

VikkiM - thanks for this info on the next SNT Peckham Rye meeting on 17 March. I'm definitely going to go and I want to urge everyone who has been upset by my horrible story to come along too. It's just not fair that people should feel intimidated by dangerous dogs.

I've been thinking about this so much as I stroke my poor little wounded Woody who may never enjoy our beautiful park again. What I would like to see is a zero tolerance attitude to owners of dogs that attack other dogs. It's outrageous the dog that attacked Woody has attacked many other dogs in the past.

Most dogs love other dogs, obviously there can be tussles between dogs that annoy eachother - but anyone who has ever seen a dog attack another one knows the difference between a tussle and an attack by a dangerous dog. Believe me, it's a very big difference. I think there should be signs up in the park saying it has a zero tolerance policy to dangerous dogs and that if your dog is likely to attack other dogs it must be on a lead and muzzled. If owners can't comply then the SNT should be called (and numbers prominently on display in the park) who can take action. I know one woman in the park (I don't know her name) whose dog has been attacked three times by the same dog which is called harry potter on Peckham Rye. Her dog is a poor nervous creature now and always on the lead - it barks when another dog gets too close - it's tragic to see and I hope to God my dog Woody isn't just like that when he can go out. Apparently that dog has been banned from Highgate cemetary so any dogs that have attacked another dog should banned from Peckham Rye.

The SNT are taking dog attacks very seriously, but the law is tricky in this area. I don't claim to have all the answers but there must be a solution if we put our heads together and force action. Believe me, I don't want anyone else to go through what I have in the last ten days.

once again, thanks to everyone for their supportive messages throughout the forum.

Any updates from the SNT? I would suggest that you also report this to the Southwark Anti Social Behaviour Unit. There may well be grounds for an ASBO. This would mean that the owner could be banned from bringing the dog to the park.

Give the unit a call on 0207 525 5777.

I hope that Woody is continuing to recover.

just to set the record straight catalyst i have just returned from peckham rye with my dog monty, and it is not the dog in question...my dog is not aggresive and is not a bull breed either, i suggest before you jump to conclusion you get your facts right !

Admittedly it was my dog in the play area which was closed by the way. If you had observed a little longer you would of seen that i got him under control, he actually was in pursuit of a squirrel and jumped the fence as dogs do ! Did you also note the children in there was they yours ?

Catalyst,

I posted a picture of the type of dog we are talking about earlier in this forum- we have to be very careful about targetting people unless we are crystal clear about the facts.

In my view dogs should not be running around offleash right by the cafe, but, I have to say that by far the biggest offenders on this count( from what I have witnessed, and it's only my experience, of course) are the parents who have a dog and child/children. Of course dogs that grow up with children are likely to be okay with other children, but not necessarily other dogs, particularly if those dogs are close to their children. Thus ALL dogs should be kept under close control right by the cafe area.

Admittedly it was my dog in the play area which was closed by the way. If you had observed a little longer you would of seen that i got him under control, he actually was in pursuit of a squirrel and jumped the fence as dogs do ! Did you also note the children in there was they yours ?

I don't have any kids. The timing is irrelevant. He shouldn't have been charging around in there. End of.

Sorry for the mis-identification. What breed is your Monty then?

My dog was not running around of leash by the cafe, in actual fact he was fastened up outside the cafe the problem occured when i released him to exercise him on the rye as many dog walkers do,seems to be the only place now to let them run without mortifying certain people! In a matter of a split second he back tracked and jumped the fence. Although i do not have to justify myself to anybody. If he was a vicious dog he would of been on a lead and muzzled but he is not.

Or shall we just muzzle all dogs now and don't let them off thier leads at all. I know lets just ban dogs from the park altogether, im sure this would put a smile on certain folks faces. I have walked dogs in peckham park for the last 20 years with no trouble whatsoever up until this past year or so, i think some people have got to much time on their hands.

kingy68,

Sorry, my comments were not meant to be a direct criticism of you or your dog. I'd be the first to support your right to have your "normal" dog enjoying a run on the Rye.

I was making a general observation that in the area around the cafe it probably does make more sense to keep dogs on a lead- bizarrely the people who seem to do this least, in my experience, are parents with dogs and children. Given the growing anti dog brigade I feel it makes sense to avoid anything that can add fuel to a growing fire :)

I am clear that your dog had a momentary "mad" moment, as dogs do, when he jumped into the children's play area- and as a responsible dog owner I'm sure you'll avoid it happening again. I think the big problem is that a lot of us- dog owners and non dog owners alike- are edgy and extra vigilant because of the small but signifcant population of dogdgy dog owners. As I have said before, the sad thing is that walking a dog is not nearly as relaxing as it used to be. I too have owned dogs for over 20 years in ED and the changes in the last few years are really noticeable. I never felt I had to have eyes in the back of my head like I do now. I also think that owners of small dogs are even more sensitive to the proliferation of dog fighting breeds because the damage, as to poor Woody, can be especially horrendous.

At the end of the day, you dog owners are responsible for the behaviour and actions of your dogs. If you spot a dog owner with their mad dog loose, say something, if you see a dog owner with the mad dog shi***** all over the place and leaving it there, tell em to pick it up. I am not going to apologise for my antipathy towards dogs and their owners. Dog owners, sort it out!

Tony Q,

As a responsible member of the community I'm sure that you too will say something to members of our society that behave in an unsocial manner- not quite sure why only other dog owners should have sole responsibility for educating the ASBO dog owner. Bit like saying "Parents if you spot a teenager doing something anti-social like flashing in a public park or car jacking say something - parents sort it out! Doesn't quite make sense, does it? You just can't lump everyone together, at least you can but it's a bit meaningless. Surely the point is that everyone who cares will do something and try to sort things and the few that don't care probably won't.

I am an out and out cat person however I absolutely love going to the park and seeing all the dogs running about and making friends with each other. what a horrible sterile environment if the dogs were all muzzled and on leads. My kids and I get such pleasure from all the dogs running around. I have never felt intimidated by a dog (except when I was bitten as a child - didn't leave much of an emotional scar) however I do appreciate people being rightly concerned about attacks such as that on poor little woody. These dog owners are the minority and must not ruin things for the responsible majority. Lastly, whenever I see young chaps (the sort with a hoody and trousers that need a belt) with a dodgy looking dog, I always smile and say 'oh what a lovely little dog, look kids isn't he gorgeous?' and even if they don't make conversation, they always smile!!!

The next Peckham Rye Police Ward Panel meeting is tomorrow evening at Harris Girls School at 7pm. The meetings are open to all and are usually attended by local Police, PCSOs, Community Wardens, representatives from Friends of Peckham Rye Park and residents.

TonyQuinn Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> say something, if you see a dog owner with

> the mad dog shi***** all over the place and

> leaving it there, tell em to pick it up.

I do every time as I cant stand poo all over the park!But once I was told to shut up and that me and my dog will be killed because the guy wasnt keen on cleaning the poo...(6)